installation success...almost

installation success...almost

by John Mazan -
Number of replies: 11
Hi there,

New to Moodle so apologies in advance for what may be a repetitive question.

On a Mac running Leopard (10.5) I've installed Apache 2.2, mySQL 5.1.36 and Moodle 1.9.5. These were all done as a clean install as part of the OS or by downloading and configuring the package.

Everything looks like its working. Am able to login in with Admin and get around fine. The only issue is when I attempt to add a user or a course/ category I select the action only to get a blank page. There is no error message that I can tell and now I'm stuck. I'm able to add theme's, I'm able navigate around except there are blank screens throughout.

Any thoughts on what this might be?

Thanks
jfm

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Mazan

Re: installation success...almost

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Switch on Debugging. Hopefully, you'll get some error messages rather than the blank page. That will help us (or you) to diagnose the problem.

Let us know how you get on.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by John Mazan -
Thanks for that, sometimes you go so far down a hole that you forget the basics.

I turned on Debugging and recieved the following message several times:

Warning: HTML_QuickForm_element::onQuickFormEvent(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /Library/WebServer/Documents/moodle/lib/pear/HTML/QuickForm/element.php on line 363

I also received the following Fatal error at the end of the file:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method MoodleQuickForm_hidden::MoodleQuickForm_hidden() in /Library/WebServer/Documents/moodle/lib/pear/HTML/QuickForm/element.php on line 363
In reply to John Mazan

by John Mazan -
I checked the forums and found that someone suggested adding the date_default_timezone_set() line in the Moodle config file. I've now done that and now the Warning messages have been resolved but the FATAL error continues to persist.

Thanks
jfm

In reply to John Mazan

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You are using PHP 5.3, it is not compatible with Moodle 1.9.5, you should upgrade to latest 1.9.5+ at least. I would personally recommend to downgrade PHP to latest 5.2.x instead for now and wait for 1.9.6.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Petr Skoda

by John Mazan -
Děkuji! I'm glad that this was an issue and not something that I did during the installation. I appreciate the follow up and support.

jfm

In reply to John Mazan

by leena gour -
hi
I have faced the same problem, Initially i thought its a problem of win vista/xp. as you said and tested about the phpversion, but how to downgrade php from 5.3 to lower. B'coz i have used xampp to install package and moodle 1.9.5 saparately.

Thanks a lot for sharing ur experience

In reply to leena gour

by leena gour -
Problem resolved!!!!!!
Same thing: i have downgraded the version of XAMPP from 7.2 to 7.1, as it has php 5.2 and it worked correctly for moodle-1.9.5 on vista.

Thanks

In reply to John Mazan

by leena gour -
have you tried for Moodle 1.9 with php 5.3?
whether it works?

In reply to leena gour

by Steve Lee -
I have the weekly release (1.9.5) working with PHP 5.3 without this issue. We recently restored a moodle site which came from a slightly older version of the Moodle code and now have this issue. I would upgrade to the latest release of 1.9.5 and stick with PHP 5.3
In reply to Steve Lee

by Deleted user -

Here is a quick fix to run pre 1.9.6 on php 5.3

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16804

In reply to Deleted user

by Annie Price -

Hi Jeff,

I have taken a look at the quick fix you suggest but have no idea where in the file to place it ... can you help please

Annie