Issues with Grade visibility between seperate groups

Issues with Grade visibility between seperate groups

by Stephanie Belt -
Number of replies: 3

Hello All! 

When we originally set up our courses, each course was set up for separate groups.  Our supervisors are added to each course within a specific group.  Originally, the supervisors could only see the grades of the other members of their group, and that is the way it should be.  However, now when a supervisor goes into the grade book, they see the grades for all the individuals enrolled in that course.  I have checked the courses and they are all still set to separate groups.  And I have checked the permissions for the supervisor role which is set for "View all groups - prohibit".  Why can they now see everything?  I don't know what else to check, it seems as though these two things should provide the grade book view I am looking for.  Does anyone have any other ideas of things to check or ways to trouble shoot this issue?  There are three System Admins for our site and I am not sure which one of us made a small change that seems to have had large repercussions, so I am not sure where to start looking.

In reply to Stephanie Belt

Re: Issues with Grade visibility between seperate groups

by Stephanie Belt -

I found this in another thread...

Re: Grades displayed by group
by Ross Hume - Thursday, July 10, 2008, 12:00 AM
  I found this problem too. There is a nasty hack - I'm really new to Moodle so no idea whether this is going to break other things.
The problem seems to be in /grade/report/grader/lib.php on ~line 141
The call to setup_groups() only fires if the pref "showgroups" is set. However, I think this will only be set if the dropdown display of groups is chosen. If not (i.e. in the case when the viewer is restricted to only one group), the whole list of student participants is shown.
Taking off the if clause around setup_groups() seems to work fine for me, but I'm sure someone with a bit more knowledge could set me straight on this.

I would be willing to try this, if only I knew how to do it.  Any one willing to explain it to me?