The "Essential" Moodle Theme
With 2.5 now release I thought it time to take the opportunity to build a new theme that would push the new theme engine to it's limits a bit. With that in mind I am happy to introduce the new "Essential" theme.
The idea of this theme, as usual with my themes, is to make the site look as little like Moodle as possible. In this specific instance, it would be used on sites where Moodle would potentially serve as a company homepage rather than just a course list.
Cool things to know about the theme.
- It only uses 4 images.
- Most of what you think are "graphics" are actually the Awesome font
- The theme has three pages of settings that allow you to cinfigure nearly every element.
- The slider on the frontpage of the demo site is completely customisable through theme settings
- I am really trying to push what Bootstrap Grids can do. As such the theme is fully responsive.
- The footer is all custom Moodle regions. This means blocks can be added. The footer of the demo site is full of HTML blocks in this instance
- The Theme uses Google webfonts to give it that extra bit of shazam!
- Social Network and Mobile App icons appear at the top of the page dynamically based on theme settings
- The entire color scheme can be modified with theme settings (like on Rocket)
- Marketing blocks on the frontpage are all customisable through theme settings.
New in 2.7
- FIX: Numerous CSS fixes
- FIX: Due to popular request reports are now 2 column again
- FIX: Significantly improved RTL support
- FIX: Back To Top link now moved to the right side so does not overlap on content
- FIX: Fixed layout of top icons.
- NEW: Can create alternative color schemes for users to select.
- NEW: Can select icons for categories
- NEW: Add support for the max-layout-width feature when empty regions are used.
New in 2.6.2
- FIX: Numerous CSS fixes
- FIX: Third level dropdown in custom menu now works
- FIX: iOS7 custom menu now works when changed to a sing dropdown in portrait view
- FIX: Social networking icons now line up properly
- FIX: GoogleFonts will now load in HTTPS setups
- NEW: Frontpage content now goes full width if all blocks removed.
New in 2.6.1
- NEW: MAJOR UPDATES for 2.6 compatibility.
- NEW: Moved layouts to a more "moodle standard" 1, 2 and 3 column layout.
- UPDATE: [Font Awesome 4.0.3](http://fontawesome.io/) now supported.
- UPDATE: Using new font setting to dynamically load the fonts.
- NEW: Can now add three columns of blocks to middle of the homepage under marketing spots.
- NEW: Theme setting added to allow admins to align frontage blocks to the left or right.
- NEW: Two designs for the slideshow available. One with image to the right, other with a background image.
- FIX: Guest users no longer get "my courses" or "dashboard" dropdown menus.
- FIX: Nav Menu generates cleanly on IE.
- FIX: Gradebook now displays no blocks to maximise available space.
- FIX: Numerous CSS fixes and cleanup
New in 2.6
- Added ability to select from 21 preset Google Font combinations or disable their use completely.
- New Frontpage Slideshow settings to allow to display; all the time, only before login, only after login or never.
- New Marketing Spots settings to allow to display; all the time, only before login, only after login or never.
- Course Labels are no longer in bold by default
- Now has a companion Mahara ePorfolio theme so you can keep them looking alike - https://github.com/moodleman/mahara-theme_essential
- Further minor bug fixes and tidy up.
New in 2.5.4
- Display current enrolled courses in dropdown menu and choose terminology (modules, courses, classes or units).
- New 'My Dashboard" in custommenu provides quick links to student tools. Can be disabled in theme settings.
- In Theme settings you can now choose to load FontAwesome via CDN (requested feature)
- iOS home screen icons now built in. Can upload your own via settings.
- Alerts for users can be added to the frontpage. (Originally dreamed up by Shaun Daubney and re-coded by me).
- Theme options to connect to Google Analytics.
- Advanced Google Analytics function allowing Clean URL's for better reporting. Contributed by @basbrands and @ghenrick. More info on this feature can be found in this blog post
- Significantly improved gradebook formatting.
- Toggle in Theme settings determines if FontAwesome is loaded from the theme or from the netdna.bootstrapcdn.com source.
- Back to top button for course pages.
- New "Frontpage Content" box to add custom content in between the slideshow and marketing spots.
Fixes in 2.5.4
- Fix to frontpage slideshow. First slide now loads properly.
- Updated include method to minimse conflicts with 3rd party plugins
- Code significanty optimised. (about 1/5 less lines!)
- Many CSS Fixes
- IMPORTANT: Theme requires Moodle 2.5.1 or higher
See the theme in Action
If you would like to see it in action, head to http://features.demo.moodle.com.au/