This filter allows you to use fontawesome icons in the Moodle text editor without worrying about having your div's stripped out by the Moodle Atto/TinyMCE HTML cleaner.
This plugin supports the legacy FontAwesome 4 icon set and the newer version 5.
importantto know, that this plugin doesn't supply the newer free FontAwesome 5 icon set. This is the responsibility of Moodle or your theme developer. So it can be, that not all FA icons will be displayed, for more information consult these links:
Your site/theme must have FontAwesome embedded already. This filter does not provide the font.
- Moodle 3.3 upwards
Install the plugin like any other plugin to folder
Use git to install this plugin:
git clone https://github.com/adpe/moodle-filter_fontawesome.git filter/fontawesome
Then complete upgrade over CLI:
sudo -u apache /usr/bin/php admin/cli/upgrade.php
First, activate the filter_tabs plugin in Site Administration -> Plugins -> Filters -> Manage filters
filter_fontawesome has a settings page to allow you to limit the filter to only certain text-box formats.
To create FontAwesome icons in text fields, use the following syntax: [fa-*] where * is the name of the icon you wish to display.
First you will need to find the icon you wish to use. This list provides a full overview.
Some examples and guide to start:
- Anywhere you wish to add an icon just surround it with square brackets and type in the icon name. e.g.:
- If the icon name is a brand, please add
fabat the beginning of the square brackets.
- If you wish to make the icon larger you can use a multiplier. e.g.:
- If you wish to rotate the icon you can specify how many degrees clockwise. e.g.:
- You can also flip an icon horizontally or vertically. e.g.:
- You can mute the colour to a dull grey. e.g.:
- You can "pull" the icon to the left or right. If it is "pulled" to the left text will wrap to the right. e.g.:
- All the settings above can be mixed and matched e.g.:
[fa-quote-left fa-4x pull-left fa-muted]
- Official plugin in Moodle plugins repository
- Written by Julian (@moodleman) Ridden. Visit the blog at http://www.moodleman.net
- Updated by David Bezemer. Visit his company page at http://www.uplearning.nl
- Updated to FontAwesome version 4.7 by Usman Asar
- Updated to FontAwesome version 5 by Adrian Perez Rodriguez
- Keep up-to-date by FFHS (Fernfachhochschule Schweiz)