Pioneer Pioneer v1.4.4
Pioneer strikes a balance between features and beautiful design. The Pioneer theme is focused on enhancing learning by using intuitive navigation, a simple layout, and amazing styling to help learners engage with your content. You have learning content, Pioneer makes it beautiful.
- Fixed CSS issue with top navigation and padding
- Marketing spot will be hidden if no title is set
- Added 3 more marketing spots to the top area for a total of six
- Added 6 new marketing spots in the main frontpage textbox area
- Added Top Marketing Spots to login.php layout file. This is the default Moodle login page.
- Added background color for User Grades Overview page
- Dock background color now uses the block border color
- Docked blocks now use block background color
- Fixed default color settings
- Numerous CSS issues resolved to enhance looks and appeal
- Hidden courses now appear "dimmed" in the course category view. Previously they looked like any other course.
- Increased limits for featured courses and course sliders. A hard limit of 28 was used but is not recommended. This was done to accommodate My Courses and set a limit for how many Personalized Recommended Courses would appear in sliders.
- Added color pickers for Navigation Bar Drop Downs
- Added color picker for Current/Highlighted backgroundfor the selected topic or week.
- Fixed z-index issue with sticky navbar and enroll user popup
- Added support for image backgrounds in top marketing spots
- Fixed custom login issue where image would not display after hiding the login form
- MYSQL and Postgres issue resolved to be compatible with both databases
- Radial Circle Color Picker
- Personalized Recommended Courses based off of Moodle tagging. This features utilizes Profile tags and matches them to course tags and displays the results in a beautiful responsive slider.
- Personalized Recommended Courses Background color picker added
- My Courses Slider functionality added. Allows the display of My Courses in a slider similar to featured courses slider and recommended courses slider.
- Fixed Top Menu background color appearing on course pages when no items are present in the menu.
- Several CSS fixes.
- New breadcrumb style. Can pick breadcrumb color for background as well as background when in hover state.
- Improved layout
- Total Course Grade Radial Animation when Admin Setting is turned on and Course Settings set to show student grades
- Main Content Icon Navigation now shows text for link. Previously it was displayed as a tooltip.
- Homepage slideshow of featured courses now has a button which will show a listing of all featured courses at a glance
- Bottom Featured course slider shows 4 items by default (up to 12 total) and is responsive so that as your screen size gets smaller less items will show in view. On a cellphone only one item is displayed.
- Changed Block Styling based on feedback. Block headings are now colorful and based on the previous icon box color. However, in theme settings you can pick a single color for all block heading titles.
- Moved Settings into separate pages to better manage all the features.
- Featured Course slider at bottom of page has a "View More Courses" link which can be customized to point the user to a specific category of courses.
- Fixed CSS issue with responsive menu background-color not showing for ipads
- Icon navigation when displayed in the main content area no longer use tooltips to show icon text. The text is displayed below the icon. Tooltips are only used when icons are located in the top header area to save space and provide a clean look.
- Moved Tools Menu, Custom Menu, and Language Menu to the top right menu area. This freed up space in the sticky navigation bar.
- Fixed menu bar on login page /moodle/login/index.php.
- Fixed Sidebar blocks side-post on frontpage
- Adjusted gradebook slider display to clean up data presented pioneer.css line 230-233 #coursegrades
- Added color picker for course title background box
- Added color picker for course title text
- Added Header Image Padding Settings for better control of header image height when logged out, logged in/main course page, and in-course activity view.
- Display or hide custom login form when logged out on frontpage
- Scroll Spy returns user to page position on in a course when returning or refreshing.
- New Featured Course Slideshow with height controls using slickjs
- New MarketingSpots at top of page
- Many new toggles for when to display frontpage elements
- Textbox only visible to users with Course Creator Role on frontpage
- Animated Radial Course Completion circle appears in upper left corner. Admin toggle on/off. Must have course completion enabled as well.
- Featured Courses is now a 9 course slider which displays three at a time
- Moved Edit button to main navigation
- Moved icon and searchbox to very top right of page
- Moved course title, frontpage tab slider, and course grade slider to bottom of header image.
- Added color picker for marketing elements
- Added background color picker for top and main content icon and searchbox navigation
- Moved many Theme Settings into new pages to try and better organize the various controls of the theme.
- Too many CSS improvements to count.
- Utilizing the header images of courses throughout the site in various capacities
- Added ability to control the frontpage background image size by adjusting padding from the theme settings page. Padding is applied above and below the login form.
- Fixed issue with Socialwall Course Format in which save buttons were hidden from view.
- Fixed a slight issue with Google Analytics and defined variables.
- Moved the background image upload and parameters from General Settings to the page with the color pickers since it is part of the background colors.
- Added a box styling to all main content including in-course activity pages. This should have been done before releasing. From the homepage to the course page everything was inside a styled box... until you went to an activity and then the box went away. There is now a color picker for the box that wraps activities.
- Numerous CSS fixes and enhancements.
- Google Analytics added to theme. Now site admins can simply add the UA tracking id number and begin collecting traffic and usage of their moodle site with clean URL's.
- The Course Grade Slider can now be controlled by the teacher. If course settings is set to Not Show Gradebook to Students then the Course Grade slider will not display. In order to use the Course Grade Slider it must be turned on in Admin Theme Settings for Pioneer and at the course level to show gradebook to students which is set by the teacher on a course by course setting.
- New feature - Position blocks to the right or left of the content. We added a position toggle on the general settings page to pick where the blocks appear. This has been a much requested feature as some people like the blocks on the left.
- Continued refining of Pioneer theme setting pages.
- Added more control over icon navigation and course search box. A toggle to Show Top, Show Main Content, Both and Never. This is useful if you need to free up space in the top navigation bar and want to remove the icons and searchbox.
- When the custom frontpage textbox is present the icon nav and searchbox appear within the textbox for a clean look. However, if the frontpage textbox is not present the icon nav and searchbox can still appear standalone in the maincontent area based on the display toggle.
- Checkbox for display search box in top nav. Checkbox for display search box in main content.
- Tab/Course Grade Toggle button and buttonhover colors can now be set in theme settings.
- Fixed settings.php error which caused double general settings link to appear twice.
- Added custom color for breadcrumb bar which appears below the header image.
- Added Copyright Notice in footer area.
- CSS fixes and enhancements
- Updated language strings and settings pages to be more intuitive.
- My Classes and This Course drop down menus will now include a scroll bar if the list of items is too long.
- Removed My Grades from This Course dropdown menu. Causes issues if show gradebook to students is turned off.
- Added Tools custom drop down menu for quick links as a custom menu option.
- Duplicate Language drop down Menu is fixed.
- Topnav Drop Down menus will only support single column menus. This is to accomodate very long My Classes and This Course Menus. If anyone can help with a CSS fix I would appreciate this. I do believe it can be fixed with some simple CSS adjustments but I am at a loss and we don't use more than a single column links.
- Added a theme admin page to create a custom footer with the ability to use a single full-width textbox or a 4 column layout with 4 individual textboxes. Or choose to use both!
- If no site logo is uploaded the topnav bar will now default to the site title and link to the frontpage.
- Revisited and fixed an issue with the large frontpage icons and searchbox display toggle not truly hiding when it was supposed to be hidden.
- Marketing Spots will only appear on homepage/frontpage. They will no longer display past the homepage. This makes the courses nicer and less cluttered.
- Centered featured courses when less than 6 are used.
- Added This Course dropdown menu for quick access to course activities.
- My Classes now reflects the ordering and settings of the Course Overview Block on the Dashboard.
Pioneer v1.2.6 & 1.2.7
- Moved User Menu up to top navigation bar next to my courses dropdown.
- Moved top icon nav next to course search box on right side of screen.
- Added toggle to show or hide the larger iconnav and course searchbox from being displayed with the Frontpage Textbox. This is useful for first time users but the same icons and search is available in the top navigation menu. This simply makes it more obvious to the user and in the textbox you can explain what/how you want the user to do in the site.
- Fixed secure site layout file to be in line with theme.
- Added frontpage enhancement. If you utilize the frontpage textbox you will now see the same icons with tooltips located in the top navigation but they will be quit larger and it also includes the course search bar. We discovered that most people prefer the larger icon navigation on the homepage with the custom text box. This allows the site admin to provide instructions and key navigational links as the first thing someone sees upon logging in.
- When a new header image is uploaded in theme settings it will also be used for courses with no-image when Featured or displayed as Available Courses on the frontpage. This fixes the issue of having to FTP a no-image.jpg up to the server in the theme pix folder. This was first introduced in version 1.2.3 and a bug was found. This has been fixed and reinstated.
- Removed frontpage featured courses from using an uploaded header image. Found a bug which displays no image if the course doesn't have an image and there is no header image uploaded in settings. It should default to an image in the pix folder but it does not. I need more time with the code to make it work.
- Added custom colog for the frontpage login button.
- When a new header image is uploaded in theme settings it will also be used for courses with no-image when Featured or displayed as Available Courses on the frontpage. This fixes the issue of having to FTP a no-image.jpg up to the server in the theme pix folder.
- Course title no longer appears as a black bar across the whole top of the page. It is centered and paddded to only fill the space of the text. This allows the header image to be more visible without a distracting black bar across the full width.
- Marketing Box buttons now appear right aligned. Somehow this got changed in 1.2.2 but is now corrected.
- Some css cleanup for Mybadges page to hide the fptextbox and tabbutton/tabs due to mybadges using Mydashboard layout.
- Fixed IPad buttons not working for frontpage tabs and view course grades.
- Fixed marketing spots full width when not enough text to fill space.
- Custom Text for Course Grades Button.
- Create New and Forgot Password text on the custom login can now be shown or hidden via settings toggle.
- Fixed Language string
- Increased max width of button text for frontpage tabs and course grades to 500px.
- Numerous css fixes.
- Six custom frontpage tabs which are displayed via a slider button. Add a title and content text for each tab. Tabs fade in and out with content.
- Found bug for SSL and login with featured courses enabled. Fix is to force users to login before seeing featured courses.
- When using the default Moodle login page featured courses is not displayed. This is to fix a bug with featured courses. If your site uses SSL for login only, please click in Site Admin to Force Login.
- Seeking input for best way to fix the SSL and featured courses bug. Alternative is to make featured courses only visible when logged in.
- Social Icons Links open in new window
- Chnaged styling of Marketing spots to be a little less "shocking" as one teacher put it.
- Made footer and social icons merge at the bottom of the page. Looks cleaner.
- Default logo is more generic. Simple arrow-head and text.
- Fixed Language string mis-spelling
- On Dashboard Page enhanced the course overview block to remove the verticle block title. If you move it to the sidebar it will regain it's verticle block title.
- Styling and CSS improvements.
- Added custom font awesome icon to the section headers of topic and weekly course formats. Users can add unicode setting in theme admin to pick their own icon. Default is book.
- At the request of our teachers we switched back to a horizontal alignment for the side block titles. However, we kept the border width on the left of the blocks to create a visual separation.
- Each block has a fontawesome icon and color background next to the title.
- Social icons bar at bottom is now full width. This replaces just showing them in the bottom right. It will also allow for future items to be placed in this bar.
- Worked to make theme better for translations into other languages. Removed hard coded text where identified.
- Improved descriptions in Theme Settings pages.
- Found and fixed a couple of missing language strings.
- Accidently removed a closing div tag. Fixed.
- Initial release for Moodle 3.0. Performed testing and initial results indicate it works.
- Fixed PDF Assignment Editing where some icons were cut off when leaving comments.
- Socialwall fixes for the latest version. Simplified coloring and styling.
- Removed some CSS fontawesome icons for socialwall and opted for a more simple look for users.
- Fixed small issue with frontpage login image when logged out.
- Added better logic to displaying header images on course pages. Will not show default image while loading course image. The image swap effect when the course image loaded was annoying.
- Added toggle to turn on or off using course header images. Use one image for entire site or allow teachers to customize. Default is use one image.
- CSS fixes and better explainations in language files
- Fixed General Frontpage Alert not showing on moodle default login page
- Fixed top navigation bar for logged out users.
- More mobile menu adjustments
- Fixed css issue with small screen sizes and top navigation bar and changed when mobile menu appears
- At 979px the course search box is hidden. At 679px the mobile menu is displayed.
- Added Icon Navigation to the mobile menu
- Fixed Frontpage alert being hidden by top navigation bar
- Fixed styling when blocks are docked to remain full-width and proper padding on the left
- Better overall responsive styling
- Fixed css issue with small screen sizes and top navigation bar
- Added featured courses to the moodle default login page
- Made theme full screen in width at request of teachers
- Made top navigation stick to top of screen
- Moved top navigation into a single include file
- Fixed css and language strings
- Full screen gradebook view
- Fixed css and language strings
- Added Course Grades drop down toggle. This allows students to see all their grades while in a course by a simple toggle show and hide
Version control information
- Version control system (VCS)
- VCS repository URL
Default installation instructions for plugins of the type Themes
- Make sure you have all the required versions.
- Download and unpack the module.
- Place the folder (e.g. "ponies") in the "theme" subdirectory.
- Visit http://yoursite.com/admin to finish the installation