Automatic Windows services startup

Automatic Windows services startup

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

I downloaded Windows Moodle 1.9.1 +.

I wanted to have the basic Moodle install start automatically. I followed Automatic Windows services startup (http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_AMP#Windows)
c:/moodle/server/service.exe -install

I see the service in my Windows services (XAMPP Service) so I know it installed -- but it will not start. When I manually start it I always get the following Windows message:
The XAMPP Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service.

I have tried a variety of things but cannot get Automatic Windows services startup to work. Thank you for any ideas on this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Automatic Windows services startup

by Matt Molloy -

Hi Matthew,

You may need to post more information on your version of Windows, but one possibility is that IIS is running, and using port 80. This denies Apache the use of the port, meaning that the Apache will start, but then stop immediately. If this is the case, you need to disable IIS, thus freeing up the port for Apache. There is also the possibility that some other application may be using the port.

Also here is a suggestion of a program for checking what ports are open on your server, and what process are using them.

Matt

In reply to Matt Molloy

by Deleted user -

Hi --

Instead of continuing with my original route (XAMPP and Moodle all in one install) I decided to install XAMPP first and then add Moodle to it using docs at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Windows_installation_using_XAMPP -- that worked great (and allowed setting up Apache and MySQL as a service) so all is well now.

Thank you! 

In reply to Deleted user

by Michael Chan -

I have the same problem.  Has anyone found a fix for this?  Thanks.