Adding custom images to Main Menu Nav Bar

Adding custom images to Main Menu Nav Bar

by Hellmuth Sole -
Number of replies: 7
I've currently installed Moodle 1.9.1 and I'm interested in doing some tweaking to the main menu navigation bar. Currently, Moodle allows for the bar to display links in only text format. However, I wanted to know if it's possible to actually display an image and when the people press this image, it serves as the same hyperlink the text currently does and redirects me accordingly?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hellmuth Sole

Re: Adding custom images to Main Menu Nav Bar

by John Brady -

Yes
Main Menu
Use: Add a resource
Select: label
Upload a picture
Select Picture (get the little squares to appear, see attachment)
Insert a Web Link (see attachment)

Attachment web_link.PNG
In reply to John Brady

by Hellmuth Sole -
Hi John, thanks for the info, it worked perfectly. However it brings up another issue... The custom images are to lead people to my courses. However moodle by default places the courses in text format (with the respective icon) on the menu bar. I tried hiding them, but this not only hides the text option, it hides the entire course from the students, so they're unable to actually enter the course, even if they press the new graphic icon. Any idea how I can fix this and leave my menu in 100% perfect condition???

Thanks again!!!

by John Brady -
Moodle 1.9.2
You can change the settings for the Login Page and the Home Page (Front Page when Logged in) so that it will not display a list of Course Categories or Courses.

Go to Site Administration
Select Front Page
Select Front Page Settings
Set Front Page to None
Set Front Page Items when Logged in to None

Is this what you were looking for?
In reply to John Brady

by Hellmuth Sole -
Hi John, this corrects it from not appearing in the center section of the page, but not in the "Main Menu" bar on the left. I'm attaching a partial screenshot so you can get an idea of the issue I'm having. (I've had to block some images for confidentiality reasons).

Now there's something interesting that I've noticed. "Habilidades" is also a course, similar in structure to the previous 2, however it doesn't appear as a text link in the menu bar, but the other 2 do... Could it be something I did when I created the course itself? I'm checking the SITE-ADMINISTRATION-COURSES-ADD/EDIT COURSES page, and it mentions that there's a course, which actually is a webpage I've added so people can graphically select what course they want instead of moodle's list. Can you think of a way to add the webpage with the links so I don't put the webpage as a course?

Thanks!!

Attachment Picture1.jpg

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there
Forgive me if I haven't quite understood you but I think you want graphic links to your courses instead of text links? Have you thought of not using the main menu bar but using an html block and putting buttons/graphics whatever that are hyperlinked to your courses so students click the image they want and are taken to the course that way?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hellmuth Sole -
Good idea Mary... if I did so then how could I hide the main menu bar from the home page?

by John Brady -

To hide the Main Menu, change the eye from open to closed.

Attachment main_menu.JPG