The way how Gradebook in 1.9 recalculates a scale to percentual value

The way how Gradebook in 1.9 recalculates a scale to percentual value

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

I would like to discuss the way how Gradebook in 1.9 deals with scales when I choose the display type to "percent". This is my use case:
I have created a custom scale "Solution quality" with the following scale items:
* weak solution
** has some drawbacks
*** that might work
**** perfect solution
In the grader, I have set the item using this scale to display grades as "percent". I was surprised that the grader reported strange values. E.g. a student received ** out of **** which is something I would consider as 50% grade. But actually he received only 33.33% surprise.
The reason is the grader considers the scale as an item with minimal grade 1 and maximal grade 4. These values are mapped to percentual values as follows:
* = 1 = 0%
** = 2 = 33.33%
*** = 3 = 66.67%
**** = 4 = 100%
I.e. the percentual value is calculated as (2-1)/(4-1) = 1/3 = 33.33%.
But in this case, the * should represent 25% and no grade should mean 0%. The solution for me might be to extend the scale so the worst level is "wrong solution" or so.

As this is not very intuitive for me, I want to ask if this is really expected behaviour for the others or we might consider this as a bug.

TIA
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: The way how Gradebook in 1.9 recalculates a scale to percentual value

by Gary Anderson -
David:

A fix for this is to create a fifth grade called "No stars". That would correspond to a zero.

Null or no grade is not the same as zero. It is just a grade that has not yet been assigned. Having this distinction means that grade averages are not computed until a teacher has gotten around to assigning a grade, which in many cases is important.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

Re: The way how Gradebook in 1.9 recalculates a scale to percentual value

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Gary. This is the only solution I found as well. My concern was whether this behaviour is intuitive for Moodle teachers thoughtful. This is something that should be explained in the docs clearly; maybe in the tutorial as another case?