Uploading questions using the GIFT format

Uploading questions using the GIFT format

by Richard Cooke -
Number of replies: 5

I have followed the advice/help files for uploading a GIFT document into the QUIZ section. I tried as a word files then a txt. I then went to the example and saved as a txt file and uploaded it but it appeared as goggledegook.

I must be doing something wrong.

Any help please would be really gratefully received.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Cooke

Re: Uploading questions using the GIFT format

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Create your document with notepath (not with word), such as the example in my attachement. (just tested it with moodle 1.3.2, but it works already since the creation of the gift-format)
In reply to koen roggemans

by Richard Cooke -

Thanks Guys

Really helpful.

Looking at the txt file you supplied I notice that 2 line spaces separate each question. Is this technically necessary?

Regards  Richard C

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

From the helpfile formatgift.html:

There must be a blank line (double carriage return) separating questions. For clarity, the answers can be written on separate lines and even indented. For example:

The American holiday of Thanksgiving is celebrated on the {
         ~second
         ~third
         =fourth
     } Thursday of November.

Japanese characters originally came from what country? {
         ~India
         =China
         ~Korea
         ~Egypt}

So only one empty line is necessary smile

by Timothy Takemoto -

You are in the UK, so I doubt this applies but, notepad in Japan saves in shift-jis format. One needs to use an editor that saves in EUC_JP, other wise it appears in gobbledigook.

My guess is that the text file that you created with Word, is including some nasties, so as Koen suggests you should use a text editor. If that does not work please post your GIFT file.

TIm 

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by koen roggemans -

Didn't know that Tim. I always feel happy that I speak a West European language when I read something like that bedenking  (we only have some problematic words taken from French, but those are minor problems)