Limit size of essay question

Limit size of essay question

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 6
Is there any way of limiting the size of the essay question? I want to use this type of question for quizzes with very, very short answers. The size of the text window that appears with this question type is a bit too big for my purposes.

Also, I've noticed that when you have more than one essay question in the same quiz the input text window for the first question always appears with the HTML editor and a size considerably larger than the text windows for the other questions. Is this a feature or a bug (more likely)?

For a while I was a little confused and I thought I had selected a different question type for the first question. But then I discovered that if I moved other questions in the quiz to the first position it was those questions that would appear with the HTML editor instead of the simple text input window.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Limit size of essay question

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Configurable essay size is a feature request that has come up before. It is in the tracker, it is a good idea, but no one has implemented it yet.

The wierd thing with two essays on a page is a known problem. To learn the long, boring, history of this, read this bug report: MDL-6649. One day we will come up with a better solution.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Markkose Mathew -
how do we limit the size of questions. Even am struggling to find a solution.

In reply to Markkose Mathew

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
> how do we limit the size of questions

I suppose you mean "limit the size of responses to questions"?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Markkose Mathew -
not at all,
i meant, the size of the textarea, that comes for answering the questions. The answer box text area is too large, just like essay sessions in the quiz module. i want to reduce itz size to some appreciable percentage, say as 15 %.
In reply to Markkose Mathew

by Markkose Mathew -
hi frnds,

pls see the pic being attached to get an idea... (where to limit the size)

Attachment limit_the_size.jpg
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK. Thanks for the response. So it is a bug (sort of). I thought I might ask because maybe there was something I was not taking into account.