question about HotPot quiz results summarization

question about HotPot quiz results summarization

Theresa Crimminsdən -
Number of replies: 1
I have a couple of questions about how to best access and summarize my quiz results... I apologize in advance if I'm missing obvious things, I've looked around on the forum and played around with Moodle a lot, but am still learning things every day!

I have several Hot Potatoes quizzes in my Moodle site and nearly 1,000 students have completed them. I have several ways I’d like to analyze the data. For one, I would like to be able to analyze the number of “tries” it took each student to get the correct answer for each question. I can access the type of information I would like by generating the “Detailed Statistics” report – the different colors for correct, incorrect, and ignored answers is perfect. However, this information is lost when I export the data to Excel or Text file format – suddenly, I can’t tell which letters should be which colors, and therefore which categories they should fall into. I have brought the data into Excel and Access and tried to manipulate it but it is a bit of a headache with so many students and so many combinations of right, wrong, and ignored answers!

Ideally, what I’d love to be able to access would be something similar to what the “Detailed Responses” plug-in can generate for standard Moodle quizzes, where I can view the response each student provided to each question. Also ideally, I’d be able to see how many tries it took per question per quiz. Is this possible to access?

Thanks very much for any insights you can offer!!
Orta qiymət: -
In reply to Theresa Crimmins

Re: question about HotPot quiz results summarization

Gordon Batesondən -
Core developers istifadəçinin şəkili Peer reviewers istifadəçinin şəkili Plugin developers istifadəçinin şəkili
Hi Theresa,
there is nothing simple that can be done at the moment, I'm afraid.

I see what you mean about the colors being lost when the data is exported into Excel.

When you looking at the "Detailed statistics" report for a HotPot, the number of tries at each question is the last of the three numbers in the green brackets. It would be difficult for you to extract in Excel, but the information is there.

This report also shows you the "the response each student provided to each question". What's more it shows you the wrong answers and the correct answers. However because there are several answers in one cell, it is difficult to extract this information in Excel.

On the whole then, I think this report already has the information you want, but the information is not easily accessible to Excel because one cell contains several pieces of information.

I am just working on the reports for the next version of the HotPot module, so I will try to ensure that the Excel downloads are more granular.

many thanks
Gordon