having frame issues

having frame issues

by Marc Grober -
Number of replies: 11
I am experimenting with adding a series of hotpot exercises.
From any location on as regular web pages they work fine.
From moodle everything appears to work things start having trouble. The navigation buttons in the top frame of the hotpot does not work. If I set the hotpot to go to the next in a series upon completion of one exercise the hotpot top frame becomes a moodle frame and then the next exercise frame, but the frame where the actual exercise was does not get changed and appears to obscure the moodle frame behind it. What is the source of these problems and How can I resolve this behavior?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marc Grober

Re: having frame issues

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Marc,
please could you go to my server and set up a HotPot in such a way that it behaves as you describe. Then I can understand more clearly the settings you have used:
thanks
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Marc Grober -
Done,

I uploaded two HotPots developed by someone else I have been using as test examples. I did not sequence them or anything, but you can see what I mean as far as the frame with the actual exercise remaining after the area under the hotpot nav bar as been replaced by moodle.... if I sequence then simplify 2 comes up in the nav frame....
In reply to Marc Grober

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
hi Marc,
the two quizzes you uploaded to my server where made with Hot Potatoes v5.5, but the current HotPot module requires quizzes made with at least Hot Potatoes v6.

Please download the latest version of Hot Potatoes and regenerate the htm files. I think you will find the quizzes will work better for you.

regards
Gordon
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Marc Grober -
Thanks. I read the docs on navigation bars and was still none to clear on what was what. It wold be helpful if there were some illustrations and some specific info on how, if possible, the hotpot navigation can be made to disappear altogether. I tried a couple of things with a newer hotpot and while I did not have the problem I saw in the early version, the moodle did not come back after the exercise was completed. If there are specific items in the html file that need to be present or absent.....????

Do you have plans for the module to do version checking. I was looking at how difficult it would be to share hotpot quizzes, and this would be an issue. There are only X many mathematics questions you can give to a algebra student, and it would seem that having every teacher write their own is not very cost effective ;=}

While I figured out how to get gifs properly referenced, is there some way to encapsulate the quiz (other than zipping things and unzipping things) that would assist with packaging?

Lastly, as I am presently working on Math assessment, do you know if anyone has used tex or asciimathml to replace the use of gifs in hotpot quizzes? I have searched and could not find anything on this. [Partial answer for this question.... I just created a hotpot quiz in 1.8.2 - not sure what hotpot module version this is - and using asciimathml v 2.0.x the math displays correctly, so my guess would be that the graphing features included would work as well.....)
In reply to Marc Grober

by Gordon Bateson -
hi Marc,
you have many questions. I will try to answer those that I can.

> if possible, the hotpot navigation can be made to disappear altogether

The closest you can get is to choose "Give up button" on Moodle's "Adding/Editing a Hot Potatoes quiz" page.

> the moodle did not come back after the exercise was completed

Please upload the quiz to my server so that I can see exactly the settings required to produce to problem you have experienced.

> Do you have plans for the module to do version checking.

Sort of. The new HotPot module has much more of a plugin structure, so it will be possible to write plugins to accepts quizzes made with external quiz creation programs other than Hot Potatoes 6 and to play those quizzes on output devices other then javascript-enabled PC's . For example, I intend for there to be plugins to accept for Hot Potatoes 5, TexToys, Qedoc, ExamView and quiz formats, as well as formats that have been proposed by Alan Hess, Charles Kelly and other programmer-teachers.

> was looking at how difficult it would be to share hotpot quizzes, and this would be an issue

In the new HotPot module, it will be possible to specify the source quiz file using an external URL, which will make sharing the quizzes between courses or even between Moodle sites simple.

> is there some way to encapsulate the quiz (other than zipping things and unzipping things) that would assist with packaging?

It sounds like you want to move the quiz and its associated files somewhere. Is that right. Zipping sounds like a good solution. Please give more details about what and why you want to package.

> do you know if anyone has used tex or asciimathml to replace the use of gifs in hotpot quizzes?

Yes, I think people have used a Moodle filter to insert mathematical formulas into HotPots. There was a problem with two kinds of Hot Potatoes quiz, which use the same syntax that the Moodle filter is searching for when looking for formulas in the quiz. The new HotPot module will not have this problem.

regards
Gordon

by Marc Grober -
> It sounds like you want to move the quiz and its associated files somewhere. Is that right. Zipping sounds like a good solution. Please give more details about what and why you want to package.

Not quite. I someone wants to share a HotPot that has gifs it means as you suggest zipping and then unzipping. I was wondering whether there was the possibility of having hotpot read the zip, the initial .jXX file before export, or some other way so that one would not have to worry about directory structure with respect to images....

BTW, when you speak of "new HotPot module"", you are speaking of one in the pipes, not one published, correct? Os has this been published and I need to swap out the one that is currently installed?

BTW, asciimathml seems to work in some of the hotpot work I am playing with now (using backticks or dollars signs), and you can use text tokens (amath...endamath, agraph...endagraph) to avoid conflict with symbols
In reply to Marc Grober

by Gordon Bateson -

> someone wants to share a HotPot that has gifs ... I was wondering whether there was the possibility of having hotpot read the zip, the initial .jXX file before export, or some other way so that one would not have to worry about directory structure with respect to images....

I'm afraid I still don't quite understand exactly what you wish to do. The words "share" and "export" are confusing me. I think you mean that someone wants to use the same Hot Potatoes file in two separate Moodle courses. Is that right? That is not possible with the current HotPot module, but it will be possible with the next version of the HotPot module which will be released very soon.

> BTW, when you speak of "new HotPot module", you are speaking of one in the pipes, not one published, correct?

Yes, that is correct. It has not been published yet and is not publicly available yet.

> BTW, asciimathml seems to work in some of the hotpot work

Very good news. I am not familiar with asciimathml but I can see it would be very useful for the mathematicians amongst us. Thanks for the info!

regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
I have just noticed some more talk about acsiimathml over on another Moodle forum.
Looks like Mauno is hoping to add it to Moodle's HTML editor - WOW !!

by Marc Grober -
One of the exciting prospects I think is the ability to require a student to provide an equation as an answer. In the past one could require a latex answer and then compare for the correct latex, but latex can be difficult to master and you have to have a text expression to compare (you can't compare gifs, and that was how most equations were rendered.)

An additional boon would be the availability of Equation Editor or dragmath in quiz or hotpot modules (either integrated or as a sandbox) so that students not sure of their text expressions can get some help fabricating them and double check what they look like when parsed.... all in good time....

by Marc Grober -
Sorry I am not being clear enough. Let me use a real life practical example.
A nice lady in Virginia assembled some practice hotpot exams to address mastery of a variety of subjects. This is the URL for one such test:
http://www.iq.poquoson.org/eocalg102v5.htm
In Math, because of the expressions issue, virtually all the problems have associated gifs (one of the issues that using asciimathml would alleviate)
If I wanted to use this test on my moodle I would have to grab up the web page and all the associated gifs and make sure they were in an appropriate directory structure on my moodle and then add the hotpot via the module.

Even if I grabbed the jqz file from the author, that won;t do me any good without the gifs as the jqz file does not include the gifs either.

I could zip or tar the gifs with the web page, but then I would have to unzip.

What would make such quizzes more portable would be away to keep anything related to the quiz all in one file at all times. An example would be if the module would accept a zip file that included all gifs and the html and then took care of whatever was necessary as far as exploding or anything else....
In reply to Marc Grober

by Gordon Bateson -
Thank you for that example. I understand much better now.

There are two ways to achieve your goal:
  1. in the quiz change all the image URLs to absolute URLs. They can even refer back to the kind lady's server. Then the quiz could run on your Moodle site without any changes or need to move the images
  2. move the images into the same folder as the quiz (or a subfolder of the folder where the quiz resides) and then use relative URLs for the images
For the second case, you will need to move all the images to your Moodle site, along with the quiz file. However, the good news is that the HotPot module will handle the conversion of the relative URLs to absolute URLs that work for your Moodle site.

As for unzipping, are you aware that Moodle offers you an "unzip" link for zip files that are listed in the "Files" area for a course? It is not such a painful experience smile

hope that helps
Gordon