Phantom words in a cloze activity

Phantom words in a cloze activity

by Anton Coltham -
Number of replies: 3
Hi All

Does anyone know if it is possible to add "phantom" words to a cloze activity? Words that will appear on the word list but must not be selected - they are there as distractors.

thoughtful

Cheers
Anton

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anton Coltham

Re: Phantom words in a cloze activity

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Anton,
I don't know of a way it can be done automatically with using the standard JCloze templates.

However, you can manually edit the "htm" file of the quiz and add any distractors you wish. Open the htm file with a text editor and locate the following block of code:
<div id="WordsDiv" class="StdDiv">
<span id="WordList" class="ClozeWordList"> ... </span>
</div>
I have attached a sample to demonstrate the technique.

regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Anton Coltham -
Hi Gordon

Thanks for that - it works well.

Could a similar thing be done with the drop-down menu option?

Cheers
Anton
In reply to Anton Coltham

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, in theory you could do something similar, but since each dropdown list is a separate <select> ... </select> tag you would have to add the distractors, as <option> ... </option> tags, to each and every drop down list. I think you might find that rather tedious to do by hand.

If you know a javascript programmer, you might see if you can pique their interest by discussing with them the "exciting" challenge of writing a script that when inserted into JCloze pages would add a couple of random or specified distractors to each drop down list.

regards
Gordon