Letter Grade Scale Edits in 1.9

Letter Grade Scale Edits in 1.9

by Paul Pennington -
Number of replies: 6

When we were using 1.7.4, we could edit the grade scale down to 2 decimal points (e.g A 94.50 to 100, A- 91.50-94.49). This provided the appropriate rounding for the final weighted grades. The letter editor in 1.9 only provides whole numbers. I used to edit the grade scale in lib.php in Grades. That scale does not exist in the current lib.php file.

How do we create a site-wide standard number to letter scale like our old one in 1.7? Our facult really appreciated the precision of the rounding.

Paul Pennington
Cincinnati Christian University

In reply to Paul Pennington

Re: Letter Grade Scale Edits in 1.9

by Susan Weier -
We're also looking for this feature. Has anyone found a way to replicate the two-decimal precision on a 1.9 letter scale?

Sue Weier
L&S Learning Support Services
University of Wisconsin-Madison
In reply to Paul Pennington

by Richard Webb -
Martin indicates here that you can still edit the site-wide standard to put in two decimal points, but I don't really want to make the entire faculty use my grade scale. Still, if I must ....

In reply to Richard Webb

by Robert Russo -
Use our custom_letter gradebook plugin. I have attached it for you. It should be coming out soon in contrib as part of our Simple Gradebook.

It allows you to define 92.13 as A and so on within courses without altering the administrative letter grade defaults.

Follow the README.txt instructions and enjoy.
In reply to Robert Russo

by Richard Webb -
As with most of my students, I feel ashamed to ask, but unlike most of them, I'll still ask. What am I doing wrong?

I followed the instructions to:

Copy everything into /grade/edit/custom_letter/ and add the following code just before the </head> tag in header.html

<?php $filenamejs = "$CFG->dirroot/grade/edit/custom_letter/lettermenufixer.php";
if (file_exists($filenamejs)) { include($filenamejs); } else { } ?>

After doing so, I couldn't find any changes in behavior. I modified the header code to:

<?php $filenamejs = "$CFG->dirroot/grade/edit/custom_letter/lettermenufixer.php";
if (file_exists($filenamejs)) { include($filenamejs);
echo " $CFG->dirroot/grade/edit/custom_letter/lettermenufixer.php present"; }
else { echo "$CFG->dirroot/grade/edit/custom_letter/lettermenufixer.php NOT present";
} ?>

and the browser displayed the line indicating that the piece was present and included. But I cannot find any alteration in the behavior of Side Administration-->Grades-->Letters or in a course when I go to Grades-->Edit-->Letters.

This is on my "test server" (read MacBook Pro) with MySQL 4.1.21, Apache/2.2.8 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 OpenSSL/0.9.7l DAV/2 PHP/5.2.6

Any ideas?

Richard
In reply to Richard Webb

by Jason Goette -
Has anyone got the custom_letter package to work or found another way to change the grade letters by a .5%?
In reply to Jason Goette

by Robert Russo -
Sorry I missed this for almost a year:

Change the following in grade/lib.php

$url = 'edit/letter/index.php?id='.$courseid;
to
$url = 'edit/custom_letter/index.php?id='.$courseid;

Otherwise the plugin is never called, ever. This has to be done because there is no real way to add editing plugins into the grade book like you can add reports.