Wiki changes - email notification or RSS?

Wiki changes - email notification or RSS?

by John White -
Number of replies: 11
Hi all,

I'm on 1.9+, and will be on 1.9.1 tomorrow.

I have been asked to look at whether a Wiki could email out to a group each time someone updates it!

Now that might be bizarre, and I can't see the group putting up with the resulting email storm for long, but is it possible?

Is an RSS feed off a Wiki possible? Or will that come with nwiki?

I noted that the last time the email issue was raised was is 2005, and I don't think an answer was given.

Regards,

John
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John White

Re: Wiki changes - email notification or RSS?

by Xavier de Pedro -
Oups, this is amazing synchronicity!

I've just asked the same question on the general Moodle forum in our university, just in case they knew (they are using older versions of Moodle, afaik). And I just had a look at my email, and saw your question...

So, we are a group of teachers also interested in the answer to your question, John, since in our university some groups of research and innovation in teaching are using moodle courses as some "groupware" provided by our own institution... (and taking the advantage that some teachers not very used to other ICT tools for groupware, are already used to Moodle interface, tools, etc.... so that learning curve for them is very flat).

This is some of the reasons why up to date, many groups of teachers are using external Wiki engines for our coordination... (Tikiwiki or others)

I would imagine a setting to enable/disable this feature in a "wiki-per-wiki" basis...

Xavi
In reply to Xavier de Pedro

by John White -
Xavier,

Looking at the nwiki implementation roadmap, speaks of 'mailto dfwiki' (which I'm ignorant about), but nothing else on emails and nothing on RSS.

I wonder if Ludo has a comment about this?

Regards,

John

Ludo's post on nwiki progress

nwiki requirements docs

In reply to John White

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
The RSS is in our todolist. Is not comming in the next nwiki release ( wich is comming up next week (with grades and tags) but is the next feature to be implemented. Definitivelly needs to be in the Moodle 2.0 version

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Xavier de Pedro -
Those are good news! Thanks John and ludo for reporting both things. smile
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by John White -
Yes that's excellent. Thanks Ludo.

RSS is probably more useful than email anyway!

Cheers,

John
In reply to John White

by Laura Connor -

Hi John!

Although you made your original posting nearly two years ago, we recently received a similar request from one of our staff members, e.g. is it possible to alert users to updates in a Wiki via a RSS feed or email? 

Do you (or anyone reading this post) know if it's possible in Moodle 2.0? If so, do you know of where I might locate information and/or documentation on this update?

Best,

~ Laura

In reply to Laura Connor

by Megan McCarron -
I've just been looking for the same information. Any updates on this topic since May 2008 would be greatly appreciated smile.
In reply to Laura Connor

by Peter Ostrin -
I too would like to know if this is possible. I see there has been no response since 2008 and can see no way to enable this at the moment. Thanks.
In reply to Peter Ostrin

by Nigel Metcalfe -
Hi,
We use the OU wiki module, and yes, you can subscribe to it by RSS feed. In The OU wiki if you click on the 'wiki changes' button there is a link to the rss feed at the bottom of the page.

OU wiki is the same as the standard wiki, but better.......

Hope this helps.
In reply to Nigel Metcalfe

by Andrew Ferrier -

The discussion about RSS and Moodle WIKIS has been going on for some time now (since 2008) and, after three upgrades ,apart from the OU, we don't seem to any nearer to a solution.

Is there some feature within Moodle's wiki program that prevents the application of an RSS feed? My colleagues and I would use wikis a lot in our curses and we would love to see an RSS feed applied so we can get an update of new postings