Chat on Homepage 1.9

Chat on Homepage 1.9

by Todd Thornton -
Number of replies: 2

I apologize if this has been covered before but I can't find it and similar topic solutions have not fixed my issue. I'm looking for a way to have a chat on my homepage where students who are logged in could use it but also potential students could access and ask questions about our courses even if they don't have an account set up yet. We'll just leave it visible/open during normal business hours and hide it when we are not available to avoid a potential security issue. I have not been able to figure out how to do this even if I override roles or change the status of someone on the homepage. Any help would be appreciated.

Todd

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Todd Thornton

Re: Chat on Homepage 1.9

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Todd,

You can enable logged-in users to participate in a chat activity by setting the default front page role to student in Site Administration > Front Page > Front Page settings.

To enable potential students to participate in the chat, you need to create a visitor account, say with username = password = visitor, for everyone to share.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Chat on Homepage 1.9

by Todd Thornton -

Thanks. I didn't even think about creating a "dummy" account and posting the login information. That's an easy workaround.

Todd