CourseFormat

CourseFormat

by Peter Ranzino -
Number of replies: 3

We are interested in deploying Moodle.  For our purpose we will need to create the same course multiple times that will be taught at various locations or dates. (One class -one hour.)   For example, the same regulatory compliant course is taught each week and people register based on their availablity to attend.  How can we do this in Moodle?  We have researched Weekly and Topic formats but do not see a connection for our purpose nor do we see how to easily apply a completion status to a roster of students. These classes may have as many as 50+ people at any given time, taught several times aweek...Suggestions?

Also, how can we have people self enroll? They see a schedule of classes available, register to take the course populating a roster that can then be managed by the teacher/instructor...i.e. marked as completed/incomplete, etc...???

Suggestions, thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Pete

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ranzino

Re: CourseFormat

by Paula Clough -

Pete,

Moodle is pretty flexible. There are several different ways of having the courses arranged for what you seem to be talking about.

If you need to keep the older course for archiving or for long term verification of attendance, you can easily recreate the course as many times as you want by backing up without user data and then restoring it to as a new course.  (My suggestion)

If you do not need to keep the user data/lists you can back up without student data and then restore into that course, erasing the old course... it will be a clean course, erasing the user data. Along this same vein there is a reset command in the Administrative block that will allow you to erase all user data. As you get more used to Moodle, you may be able to do something with grouping, but I wouldn't begin there.

To have users self enroll, on your list give the enrollment key for each section, then they can self enroll easily.

One way to have the ablity to mark completed students, you can have an end of class assignment that can be graded by the teacher.  You might want to use the online assignment which will give them a box that they can type into. A quiz will work, too. This can be their "ticket out the door". The grading scale can be adapted in the grade book to include completed or incomplete.  The teacher will mark those who actually completed the course.

If needed, you might be able to work with the 3rd party certificate module which can be attached to an activity and use it for the participants to download and print their own certificates.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Peter Ranzino -

Thanks Paula.

I will try these options today.

I am thinking through a new module more suited for corporate ILT type training.  Due to the volume that these courses take place, it really needs a streamlined process for registration and completion status...

Will keep you posted...

Thanks again,   Peter

In reply to Paula Clough

by Peter Ranzino -

I am using a weekly course format.  Can anyone tell me how to hide or eliminate the weekly range listed in the activity. I can set the exact  date but when I run the dates out the weekly range becomes useless.

Anyone?

Thanks,  Peter