formatting notices

formatting notices

by Birdie Newborn -
Number of replies: 2
Well, I'm finally installed (by letting my server do it for me in about two hours).

Now the pages are all working, or at least the pages I've been on -- but now I get Notices that such-and-such numbered line has undefined property in a certain location. I go to the location, but I do not see numbered lines, and I don't see handy comments either. I'm on Mac OS X -- should I switch to Unix to see numbered lines?

Also, how much meddling with files should I be doing?

And by the way, where and how do I manage the database?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Birdie Newborn

Re: formatting notices

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you got debugging switched on (in variables, in administration)? Even so, you shouldn't get loads of notices. The files aren't numbered, you just need to go to the nth line of the file. A good programmer's editor will have a command to do that.

Tell us what version you are running and what notices you are getting. Even better, post them as bugs at moodle.org/bugs.

What do you mean by 'manage the database'? For 99% of what you will want to do with Moodle you can simply forget about the database once it is all working.
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: formatting notices

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

I don't recommend using it, but if you realy feel the need of looking at your database, you can install MySQL Admin 1.2 from the add-on modules.

You should only use it to repair a table if one is damaged (never happend to me) or make a dump from the database (not such a bad idea before an upgrade, but I don't know anybody who had to use it after an upgrade). Don't use it to modify data!