Can't get my head around Enrolment plugin.............

Can't get my head around Enrolment plugin.............

by David Nash -
Number of replies: 8
Hi,

Moodle 1.9

I've set up a course that requires Enrollment.

Ideally, I would like to set it up so that when a student clicks on the course, an email is sent to the Admin and also their Manager, who can then approve the enrollment.

The enrol_manual_keyholderrole: is set to Admin

In the course I tick the Radio Box For Course Enrolment = Yes, Enrolment Plugin = Internal Enrollment. Default Role = Site Default (Student).

But when a student clicks the course they get straight into it.

any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Nash

Re: Can't get my head around Enrolment plugin.............

by nutan kale -

This is exactly how I would like to do it but don't know how ...

how are you planning to send an email to employee's manager?

In reply to nutan kale

by David Nash -
Hi,

I'm not sure yet... as I can't get the basic enrollment function to work.

In the Course Settings, at the bottom, there are Role boxes that you can add account names to. I'm assuming these will get the emails.

In reply to David Nash

by David Nash -
I'm totally flustered at this stage.

I've tried every combination of settings. The course displays the key icon saying that the course requires enrollment but still lets any student in without requiring the key.

I had set the Enrollment settings to request the key from an Admin person, that too does not work.

I changed the Un-assign own roles option to allow users to unroll themselves. This then shows that student is enrolled anyway. I un-enroll a student, try again, but still get into the course without needing to enroll.

Any advise here would be appreciated
In reply to David Nash

by Jamie Tinley -
Hi Darren,

Not sure if this will help but here is my recent experience:

I put a full page solution to this issue in 4 places in Moodle. It was very frustrating and I had a seminar for 70 the next day.
Many posted, few gave clear solutions. Hopefully mine is clear. I don't always check posts at Moodle but if you click on my name I will see my messages whenever I visit Moodle.

I'll paste it here for you too but here you will see 4 other places with this issue, 3 at tracker. You need to check both at the site level and the course level about default roles. They may be able to get in automatically because you may have changed the definition of a role like on authenticated user that they can view the course (which means even without the key) and then maybe said the default user is authenticated either at the site level or course level. That happened to me.
Here's my post with all the best things I read and other things to try. Best of luck and message me if you would like
Jamie
Solved! Here is the setup that worked for me: I know this is long but better than a short solution that does not explain it or other things to try.

1. Site level: users/permissions/user policies and changing default roles for:

All users: authenticated

Users in a course: Student (this was the kicker, without it, it returns them endlessly to key request but never lets them in. )

Note: My visitors and guests are both are set as guests

2. Site level: users/permissions/define roles Here, changing it will negate solution above which I had to change back for above settings to work.

Student: view course (set as default)

Guest: view course (set as default)

Authenticated user: Not Set. Keep it that way or all users above set to authenticated allows them to see all courses and does not ask for a key.

Course/settings

Default role: Student NOT authenticated user (which happens if you changed site level default course settings to authenticated.

Enrollment key if desired,

My links/sources which you can also try if above does not work for you

discussion only:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=79744

*suggestion, 'Only way round this is to allow students extra permissions such as inspector' which no one figured out what he meant.

*check in course enrollments are allowed

*try changing course key [did not help]

*allow guests with a key [did not help me but worked for one]

tracker:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8379

*It seems that if you reload the mdl_role_capabilities table the whole enrolment process starts to work again fine, I have attached a default copy of said table, I hope this helps out a little.

[I never figured out what he meant or how to reload a role]

duplicate issue 2

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8403;jsessionid=23929BD26F677F22E07B1E79E61FC240

*It sounds like defaultcourseroleid is set to guest. Go to Users -> Permissions -> User Policies and set it to student. That should fix your problem. [this got me thinking]

*It's working now after specifying "View Course" for both guests and students, so I don't think this is a bug. Howevever I don't understand why it should be necessary to specify this; it should be default. [already set by default unless you changed it - messed me up when I applied it to authenticated users]

duplicate issue 3

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-11520

*suggested allow guests in without key which I did not desire

If my solution does not work for you, try using excel and use each of the variables below going down and then what values you choose for each scenario. Write what effect you see and change just one at a time. This helped me solve the problem and reproduce it to be sure.

Effect notes at top of each column

site default role user

site default role for students in a in course

site define student role able to view courses

site define guest role to view courses

site define authenticated user to view courses

Course default role

Enrollment key required

allow guests in

Good Luck

In reply to Jamie Tinley

by David Nash -
Hi,

Thanks for the instructions. I went through your steps piece by piece, and unfortunately, my settings are actually identical to what you had set.

Still students can access the course without the required key.

Thanks anyway.

I'll just have to keep experimenting.
In reply to David Nash

by David Nash -
I think there is a mess up somewhere. because If I tick No for Enrollment in the Course settings.

It still shows a student the key icon that the course needs enrollment. Even though they can still access the course.
In reply to David Nash

by Jonathan Moore -
Are you sure that that user in question hasn't been assigned the student role at the site level? That would behave exactly as you describe.

Review global role assignments and see which roles are being assigned globally to which users.

In reply to Jonathan Moore

by David Nash -
Thanks for the advice. I will check this out today, as we had public holidays until today