What the F***

What the F***

by simon fenton-jones -
Number of replies: 12
I just finished writing a reply to Dick about his People's uni post. It took me 40 mins. Then when i went to post got, "Incorrect sesskey submitted, form not accepted!" and after hitting the back button found my post had been wiped. F***.

Does this mean I timed out or it's a glitch? And why would it wipe my message?
I'm so used to groups.edna.edu.au's Moodle and never had this problem. My post is Always retained.

I'm also used to getting a digest of all the forums I'm across over there. Is there anyway we can select this feature?

Sorry Dick. That's one reply that just got mangled though poor coding. Perhaps you might want to join Wikieducator's Google group. At least this problem won't occur. It's where Wayne Mac tends to hang out.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to simon fenton-jones

Re: What the F***

by Dick Heller -
Sorry, Simon, would have loved to see your post! I guess the problem was due to being timed out. I've sent you a message by e-mail through Moodle. Dick
In reply to Dick Heller

by simon fenton-jones -
Oh Dick,

I just couldn't believe it. This is the only Moodle I'm across where it happens any more = doesn't hold a message until its been posted. And I spent so much time working my way through people's uni and its partners.

Look why don't you join me at the OU's OpenLearn Moodle. There's a lot on this thread (and more if you go up a directory) which relates to what you're doing. Besides the OU is a member of the OCWC consortium. If you register there you can see how they've done a bit of real time comms integration. i.e see someone online, click to chat, talk, conference.

This is my area of interest. I'm trying to get together an experiment which brings similar groups in remote domains (Moodles, wikis or otherwise) to a communications hub. This is the tool. It looks like Skype but is built on a protocol called SIP, which is doing for real time IP what http did for the Web.

It would be great if we used this as our community hub as the OU guys are very bright, they're just starting to work through their next steps, and in the Open Education Resources arena, have links with their OUNL and others. But trying to get them to communicate is very hard work. Bit like tencompetence; only they can build tools.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sessions here are two hours long. The only way I can think you would get that error is if you logged out on another window and then logged back in there.

When I go back I do see the post in the editing textarea so I'm not sure what happened there either. What browser do you use?

Digests are set up by editing your user profile.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by simon fenton-jones -
Thanks Martin,

I use Firefox 2 most of the time. It may have been longer than two hours. I tend to start working on a post (or two) and add as i work my way through my correspondent's stuff. Dick is across a lot of communities. Been though this before with edna and OU, but that was years ago. Why don't you consider doing like OU's Openlearn and offer the choice of Post or Save as a Draft. It's an intuitive way of prompting the slow compiler.

Would you also consider, because you are working your way through the Community Hub idea, including some development of the Real Time Comms IP stuff. I've pointed to the OU because they are perhaps the largest online uni in the world and have been attempting this at the local level. But it needs a global perspective to give it legs. We're having the same discussion as Wikimedia as a way of introducing and supporting global groups. Mainly two technologies = SIP and (infrastructure) ENUM. If you read that 'Future of the OU" thread its covers most of the issues, and why Gizmo seems like a likely comms partner.

Digests. Duh! Thanks.

by Samuli Karevaara -
WordPress, amongst others, like Google Docs, has an autosave option. But I can see that causing a bit of extra load on large sites.

I've become a bit paranoid about web apps in this regard, and do a Ctrl-A Ctrl-C before submitting a wordier post.

by Frances Bell -
Simon,
The email digest option is in your profile (click your name).
I have lost posts too (in the way that Martin suggests). I usually type in longer posts to another editor now.
In reply to Frances Bell

by Martín Langhoff -
I have lost posts too, but "going back" with the web-browser almost always works. I avoid HTMLArea, which I suspect helps, but I've seen FF do the right thing with HTMLArea too.

Timed-out-form-POST-recovery is one of the things that the Forms Library _could_ make easy to support better , but I suspect it still is a ton of work.

Webapps that get this right are far and in-between, it is a hard one mixed
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by simon fenton-jones -
Martin,

Had to make another post after another post to the Moodlepedia discussion got wiped. I've been spoilt (by edna.edu.au, openlearn, and a few other moodles). As you say "going back" almost always works, but not here. i guess it hasn't been considered how much time opening 3 moodles and cutting and pasting takes. And how much time it takes to get one silo to coordinate with another.

OK. I'll still admit. Diversity is a good thing.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Simon, Moodle is Moodle. I don't think any of those Moodle sites you're talking about have modified their HTML editor.

What you're talking about is not something that can be just switched on and off from one site to another (if it could be I'd have done it years ago). smile

I don't even know the cause of your problem to even try to attempt solving it, since not everyone is experiencing it.

Perhaps you should just switch off your HTML editor entirely? I have done this for you in fact (you can turn it back on in your profile if you really want it). Hope that helps.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by simon fenton-jones -
Hey Martin, Let me say straight up. I think you're a bloody marvel.

Moodle is terrific for short courses and small groups. I've said the same down at edna groups, where there's talk about how you can get isolated, domain centric groups to think about how they collaborate with their local and global peers.

I'm not sure what the guys at (open uni's) openlearn have done, but they give you the choice of saving a draft of a post which doesn't appear until you Post to Forum.

So please don't think I'm having a go at you. It's just that i have three (moodle) forums open in front of me, and this one is the only one where, when i go and standby overnight, it wipes what I've written. Probably just a timing thing (and saving resources). It's a minor detail but I thought you might find it useful as per standards in different (Moodle) communities.

I'll ask two things of you, as there's a bunch of stuff going on around in various domains about your idea for a community hub. The first is how to bring groups with similar interests together. E.g. OCWC members publish similar courses in many domains, but we're getting to the point where these groups need to be collaborating to do one excellent course instead of of a bunch of "me too" courses.

The other is the communications side which is required to support the info (web) publishing. If you want a feel for that you can go to Openlearn's Lab or Learning space, and see what they've done with msg (instant messaging) which can click through to conferences (Flashmeeting in OU's case). I'm coming from this end where the comms tools are necessary to help moodlers work between silos (domains).

I know this is not your focus but we've got to start looking at how the web stuff can be complemented by the IP comms stuff, in order to get online production stuff happening. Otherwise all we have is silos bombarding one another ad infinitum.

by N Hansen -
I'd agree there is something not so good about the way the Moodle editor works in this respect. I spent a lot of time on something the other day on my own site and went to click Post to Forum but must have hit something else on my keyboard and everything was wiped out.

If you don't have your cursor inside the editor and accidentally hit the backspace button or for whatever reason go back a page, it is wiped out. Also, if you accidentally load another page in place of the Moodle editor, it also wipes out what you typed, even if you try to go back. I'm sure if I added up all the times this has happened to me it would add up to many hours lost.

Other sites I have been on, if you go back and then forward again, or forward and then back again, what is typed in the editor stays there. It isn't wiped out. I don't know what the difference is techically but the way Moodle works is really annoying.

by Timothy Takemoto -
The same has happened to me recently, to my surprise.

It happened when I did some searching, perhaps on another course while replying to a thread . I often do search while responding so it came as a bit of a surprise.

I will see if I can get it to happen now. Nope. I could not. But I am sure I did not log out.

Bearing in mind the educational use, it would be great if HTML area could be persuaded to remember posts in case of such crashes.

Tim