Now our Moodle site is a garbled mess of Welsh/English when users choose the English language pack!
I have re-installed the en_utf8 language pack and run the cron.php, but nothing changes. If I copy the en_utf8 folder and rename it to something like eg_utf8, and run the cron.php, this language pack is fine - all in English, but when I change the language to back to en_utf8 it is still a mess!
Please help me!!!!!
Just a shot in the dark here, but do you have a local en_uft8 in moodledata that may be corrupted and causing the problem? Anything in that local copy will override the default en_utf8 language.
(Why are these files here - I gather that these are the modifictations made? Isn't it a tad confusing to have the language files all over the place?)
Yes...that is where language modifications that are made through the site admin interface are kept. It allows you to keep your custom language changes when you upgrade Moodle...it's actually a handy feature. Any language changes you make there will override [eventhough I hate using a "role" analogy ] what is in the corresponding language file in the moodle language directory.
Could you explain a little more about how _local at the end of the folder name saves language customization during backup? We are going to upgrade to 1.9 (from 1.8.2) in a few weeks, and are trying to find a way to keep the custom terminology.
We currently go to Administration | Language | Language editing | Edit words or phrases, and write to a file called en_us_utf8. If I click Switch lang directory, it switches to en_us_utf8_local . I visited the language files that we have changed in the _local folder, and received a message that new files have been created. Do we need to do anything else to prepare for the upgrade? What, if anything, do we need to do after the upgrade to use the files in the _local folder?
there is no magic needed when using _local language packs. If I understand your environment correctly, the "en_us_utf8" is your default language. This is something we call "master language pack" and it can be downloaded from moodle.org. Also, these master language packs are updated automatically during the upgrade process. You should never modify master packs directly (unless you are the pack maintainer with CVS access). All your modifications of files in en_us_utf8 folder will be lost during the upgrade.
If you want to modify some strings for your server, you should switch to the en_us_utf8_local. We call it "local language pack" and string saved in this folder take precedence.
If you already have customized some strings in en_us_utf8, copy the modified PHP files from moodledata/lang/en_us_utf8 into the moodledata/lang/en_us_utf8_local to keep your modifications.
In Moodle 1.9, the translation UI lets you modify _local folders only unless you explicitly allow your role to modify master lang packs.
Hope this helps
I would need some more help with this topic because the solution proposed is not working for me.
I want the system to be by default in spanish, so I have tried to disable "Detect default language from browser setting" ant set "Default language" Español-internacional
But every time I unlog and log again the langague displayed is again english.
My browser is set in spanish and I have tried Firefox, IE and Chrome and it is always the same problem.
my version Moodle 1.9.8+ (Build: 20100414)
my site www.integra-t.es/aulavirtual
Thank you David, quick and clear answer!