Default language edit

Default language edit

by Gareth Cadwaladr -
Number of replies: 9
Hi, I am using Moodle 1.8.3 and we were experimenting with editing the default en_utf8 lang pack to Welsh (before the Welsh lang pack was released).

Now our Moodle site is a garbled mess of Welsh/English when users choose the English language pack!

I have re-installed the en_utf8 language pack and run the cron.php, but nothing changes. If I copy the en_utf8 folder and rename it to something like eg_utf8, and run the cron.php, this language pack is fine - all in English, but when I change the language to back to en_utf8 it is still a mess!

Please help me!!!!!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth Cadwaladr

Re: Default language edit

by Steve Hyndman -

Just a shot in the dark here, but do you have a local en_uft8 in moodledata that may be corrupted and causing the problem? Anything in that local copy will override the default en_utf8 language.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Gareth Cadwaladr -
I had a couple of php files in MoodleData\lang\en_utf8_local. Deleted them and it now works!

Thanks

(Why are these files here - I gather that these are the modifictations made? Isn't it a tad confusing to have the language files all over the place?)
In reply to Gareth Cadwaladr

by Steve Hyndman -

Yes...that is where language modifications that are made through the site admin interface are kept. It allows you to keep your custom language changes when you upgrade Moodle...it's actually a handy feature. Any language changes you make there will override [eventhough I hate using a "role" analogy smile] what is in the corresponding language file in the moodle language directory.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Miriam R -
Steve,

Could you explain a little more about how _local at the end of the folder name saves language customization during backup? We are going to upgrade to 1.9 (from 1.8.2) in a few weeks, and are trying to find a way to keep the custom terminology.

We currently go to Administration | Language | Language editing | Edit words or phrases, and write to a file called en_us_utf8. If I click Switch lang directory, it switches to en_us_utf8_local . I visited the language files that we have changed in the _local folder, and received a message that new files have been created. Do we need to do anything else to prepare for the upgrade? What, if anything, do we need to do after the upgrade to use the files in the _local folder?

Thanks,
Miriam
In reply to Miriam R

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Miriam,

there is no magic needed when using _local language packs. If I understand your environment correctly, the "en_us_utf8" is your default language. This is something we call "master language pack" and it can be downloaded from moodle.org. Also, these master language packs are updated automatically during the upgrade process. You should never modify master packs directly (unless you are the pack maintainer with CVS access). All your modifications of files in en_us_utf8 folder will be lost during the upgrade.
If you want to modify some strings for your server, you should switch to the en_us_utf8_local. We call it "local language pack" and string saved in this folder take precedence.

If you already have customized some strings in en_us_utf8, copy the modified PHP files from moodledata/lang/en_us_utf8 into the moodledata/lang/en_us_utf8_local to keep your modifications.

In Moodle 1.9, the translation UI lets you modify _local folders only unless you explicitly allow your role to modify master lang packs.

Hope this helps
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Miriam R -
Yes, that is good to know. Thank you very much.
In reply to Miriam R

by Joaquin Pece -
Hi,

I would need some more help with this topic because the solution proposed is not working for me.

I want the system to be by default in spanish, so I have tried to disable "Detect default language from browser setting" ant set "Default language" Español-internacional

But every time I unlog and log again the langague displayed is again english.

My browser is set in spanish and I have tried Firefox, IE and Chrome and it is always the same problem.

my version Moodle 1.9.8+ (Build: 20100414)

my site www.integra-t.es/aulavirtual

Thank you!!!

In reply to Joaquin Pece

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Then I guess you have the English set as your language in your profile. Note that Default language and Detected language are used for logged-off visitors only. Once you are logged-in, Moodle uses the language set in your profile, unless you do switch it manually at the front page.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)