Need to lock course name/short name/course ID

Need to lock course name/short name/course ID

by Don Becker -
Number of replies: 5
We are using an external database to handle enrollments and course creation in our 1.8 installation. Unfortunately, some teachers have taken it upon themselves to change course names and IDs, which we'd rather they didn't. At first glance, I only see a way to block access to the Course Settings option entirely. This is far less than ideal, as we still want instructors to be able to set course availability, among other things.

Is there a way to lock individual course settings?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Becker

Re: Need to lock course name/short name/course ID

by HJWUCGA INC. -
don,

this is good timing ... we were thinking of doing the same plus other fields as well.

What I am planning to do is simply make the text input readonly ... make html work for you =)

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Don Becker -
Christopher,

While researching the has_capability function to do further php tweaking, I found this forum post with a code snippet that will do exactly what I need:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=95028&parent=419586

Thanks! (and thank you, Wen Yu Shu!)
In reply to Don Becker

by HJWUCGA INC. -
Don,

I was looking into that as well and the process I want to achieve is (probably like yours)

- Check what role user is logged in as
- if non-admin, make those fields read-only
else, make it editable

I gather you've looked at this page (how permissions are calculated).

http://docs.moodle.org/en/How_permissions_are_calculated

In reply to HJWUCGA INC.

by Don Becker -
Christopher,

The code snippet I mentioned above seems to do just that by calling isadmin(). It works fine in 1.8 (which is fine for me for the time being), but from that post, I believe the plan is to get away from the isadmin() function in 1.9 and beyond.
In reply to Don Becker

by Chad Parmentier -
Great mod to the code, my instructors have been really messing up the automated enrollment process. This code works everywhere in edit_form.php except for the course start and end dates section. If you make this an admin only function when instructors try to save changes they are allowed to make them but it errors because the little check boxes that disable start and end dates are enabled, but instructors cannot see the error because its only viewable to admins. if you view it as an admin the boxes are check "disable" and all is fine. I was only able to discover this by removing the "if(has capability"code, then when I refresh the screen logged in as the instructor it shows the check boxes unchecked and you learn the default course start and end date are the same, which is throwing the error now visible. below is the code, any way to fix this?

//disable course startdates admins only
        if (has_capability('moodle/course:create', $categorycontext)) {
        $enroldatestartgrp = array();
        $enroldatestartgrp[] = &MoodleQuickForm::createElement('date_selector', 'enrolstartdate');
        $enroldatestartgrp[] = &MoodleQuickForm::createElement('checkbox', 'enrolstartdisabled', null, get_string('disable'));
        $mform->addGroup($enroldatestartgrp, 'enrolstartdategrp', get_string('enrolstartdate'), ' ', false);
        $mform->setDefault('enrolstartdate', 0);
        $mform->setDefault('enrolstartdisabled', 1);
        $mform->disabledIf('enrolstartdategrp', 'enrolstartdisabled', 'checked');
 } else {
            $mform->addElement('hidden', 'enrolstartdate', null);
        }
//disable course enddates admin feature only
if (has_capability('moodle/course:create', $categorycontext)) {
        $enroldateendgrp = array();
        $enroldateendgrp[] = &MoodleQuickForm::createElement('date_selector', 'enrolenddate');
        $enroldateendgrp[] = &MoodleQuickForm::createElement('checkbox', 'enrolenddisabled', null, get_string('disable'));
        $mform->addGroup($enroldateendgrp, 'enroldateendgrp', get_string('enrolenddate'), ' ', false);
        $mform->setDefault('enrolenddate', 0);
        $mform->setDefault('enrolenddisabled', 1);
        $mform->disabledIf('enroldateendgrp', 'enrolenddisabled', 'checked');
 } else {
            $mform->addElement('hidden', 'enrolenddate', null);
        }