voting suggestions

voting suggestions

by Mike Jackson -
Number of replies: 4
I would like to set up a voting "system" within Moodle and wonder if anyone has suggestions for implementing this. My ideal would be something that supports a "single transferrable vote"...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Jackson

Re: voting suggestions

by Michael Petro -
I set up an election between candidates running for offices with 3 separate choices. Voters were only allowed to select one for each office (Pres./VP, Secretary and Treasurer). I had a new class created called "Freshman Elections," and the students had to register for the course with a key given them by their social studies teachers. A day before the election I changed the key to lockout further changes.

We learned that although 300+ users can login to Moodle at the same time, they could not all write to the database at the same time. We left the election open over night.

Let me know if you have further questions.
In reply to Michael Petro

by lesley beasant -

Michael,  This is exactly what we would like to do for our Student Union Elections but I do not undertsand your solution fully.  Please can you elaborate.

Do you mean that I should create an 'election' course and then use the choice activity to enable students to vote?  I haven't used choice before so I shall go and read up on this right now.

Our main concern is to allow easy access but limit students to just one vote per position.

Regards lesley

In reply to lesley beasant

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Lesley. Yes, that's what I'd do - in fact what we have done - when having 'elections' Choice lends itself very well to this sort of thing and you can set it so they can only vote once and they can only vote for one person. You can set a time limit for voting too - ie , 24 hour period for example.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Kim Dhority -

Do you know is there a way to do voting when you want more than one choice.  Another words they can vote for 4 people.