students could not see their gradebook

students could not see their gradebook

by Carsten Pieper -
Number of replies: 5
hallo,

i have updated from 1.8.3 + version 2007021533 to 1.9 + (Build: 20080409).
everything is working very well, but after switching to student and selecting a course with outfilled grades, i could not see the gradebook icon in the administration box (left hand). switching back to a teacher, everything is okay... could you help me ??

carsten pieper
In reply to Carsten Pieper

Re: students could not see their gradebook

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have not seen this behavior before. It sounds like a possible roles issue. Have you checked things like the course settings to ensure that show grades is set to yes. You may also make sure that the student role has the gradereport/user:view capability. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "outfilled grades". I tried to recreate your scenario but I was able to see the gradebook option when viewing as student, even when logged in as a teacher. Are the students able to see their gradebook when they are actually logged in? Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Carsten Pieper -
hi anthony,
after your mail i searched in "/User/Permissions/Define roles" for the capability gradereport/user:view and could not found any capability for gradereport. after that i looked in mysqldatabase moodle table mdl_capabilities und could not found any gradereport items, too. normaly, i think, there should by a key like "moole/gradebook/..."

with "outfilled grades" i mean, that i define a grade for a student. and the answer of your second question: no, the students could not see their gradebook when they actually logged in.

i think, the reason is the missed capability gradereport/user:view...

... after 2 hours ...

i installed a second moodle system. during installation the script told me to change my php memory limit up to 40MByte. After that, the installation completed perfectly. the gradebook is working as well.

after that i called the install-script of my old moodle system. the script fished the installation ?? i thought, the installation was okay, but after that, the gradebook of the old moodle system is working as well, too.

it is possible, that the update script of moodle needs the 40 MByte php.ini value but will not inform about that und cancel the update ??

Okay: Now it is working, thanks for your help ....

Carsten

In reply to Carsten Pieper

by Anthony Borrow -
Carsten - Anything is possible. Although it should trigger some warning if you do not have sufficient memory for the installation. In any case, you have it working - so good work! Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Bradley Barnes -
I have this same problem, how do I call the install script again?
In reply to Bradley Barnes

by Anthony Borrow -
Bradley - My apologies for not responding sooner. With the demands of classes behind me (at least until August), I have more time for Moodle. Are you still having an issue with upgrading your gradebook? Peace - Anthony