Khmer translation files cause Chat module not to work

Khmer translation files cause Chat module not to work

by Leang Chumsoben -
Number of replies: 5
Dear all,

I recently face some strange problem. When I select Khmer as language, I cannot get into the Chat window. I get only the blank window.

I guess there might be some problem in the translation files of Khmer language (something like prohibited spaces or characters). By turning on the Debugging Message, I got the following messages on the Index page of Moodle (but I got no message in the Chat area):

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or `T_VARIABLE' or `T_NUM_STRING' in E:\www\nie\lib\moodlelib.php(5215) : eval()'d code on line 1

Notice: Lang error: configframename:E:\www\nie\moodledata/lang/km_utf8/admin.php in E:\www\nie\lib\moodlelib.php on line 5216

So can anyone please verify if there is something wrong in the translation files? Please download all the translation file from here.

Thank you very much,

Soben
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leang Chumsoben

Re: Khmer translation files cause Chat module not to work

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Soben,

Please could you try updating your Khmer language pack to see if this resolves the problem. (Fixes were added to lots of language packs a few days ago.)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Leang Chumsoben -
Hello Helen,

Thank you very much for the reply. I have just figured out the reason but I still could not solve it. That's because I have modified some translation files using inappropriate text editor (I should have used Notepad but due to the line end different between Linux and Windows).

So then I tried to replace my modified language folder with the original one (yes, I also tried to update it), but it's still not working. I'm afraid there are caching mechanism behind the sense. sad

This translation problem also leads to the visibility of images. I got only the blank images.

So what can I do? Please help.

Soben

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Regarding your caching problem, have you tried restarting Apache?

Regarding editing language files, please note that using the language editor in Moodle is the recommended method. Notepad is not recommended!

by Bob Singletary -
We are just now seeing this same symptom (blank screen and no error message) with our chat, but have done nothing with language files. We are running Moodle 1.9.2+ (Build 20080903). Previously our chat worked, but unfortunately I can't recall if the last time it was working was before or after our upgrade to 1.9. Are there any environmental issues we should be checking at the server or PHP level? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Bob
In reply to Bob Singletary

by Bob Singletary -
Update: We fixed our issue. One of our web developers found some other forum postings here and did some investigating on our side. It was a port issue. Changing the port number to one that Moodle looks for took care of the problem.

~Bob