manual grading reports

manual grading reports

by Matt Oquist -
Number of replies: 3
I've attached my embarrassingly lame "solution" to the manual grading management problem in Moodle 1.8.3+.

This block provides a link which produces a report for a teacher listing all the quizzes in the course and a count of how many attempts of each have ungraded questions.

There are lots of problems with this implementation, including:
  1. bad, messy code duplication with other quiz reports (there is no other option, see #2 below)
  2. horrible DB load to do the queries to produce this report (I don't remember now why this is the case.)
  3. completely different presentation than other quiz reports (there is no other good option, see #2, below)
But I'm using it in production anyway, because life was previously miserable for our teachers given that any student may be submitting any quiz at any time. (It's been a couple of months, but I still get emails regularly with thank-you notes.)

And after some back-and-forth on the issue, I'm attaching the block here despite the fact that it's a grotesque kludge because
  1. it exemplifies a particular interface need that we (and many others, I suspect) require from the 2.0 quiz module rewrite
  2. it reveals a design limitation of the quiz module reports (in 1.8, at least, I guess I haven't checked 1.9), in that they have no concept of a course-wide report, which is exactly what is missing (and this leads to #1, in the first list above)
  3. maybe somebody else could use this, even though it's a grotesque kludge. Did I mention that our teachers keep expressing thanks for it?
So if you want, you can install this block on your site. Note that it must be added to a course to be effective for that course. (I sent out an email explaining to our teachers how they could add it to their own courses.)

Also, see http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-13495 for a patch that will add an indicator of which particular attempts have been manually graded and which ones still need attention.

Together, these changes have drastically improved the lives of our teachers.

Cheers,
Matt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Oquist

Re: manual grading reports

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for posting this.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by vic estilo -

Thanks for this really helpful. But, how do I install this?

I'm relatively new to Moodle and we're using Moodle 1.8.2.

In reply to vic estilo

by Matt Oquist -
Hi vic,

Take a look under your Moodle installation's "blocks" folder; this is (I believe) a relatively typical block installation, so you need to unzip my attachment and put the vlacs_hax folder under the "blocks" folder in your Moodle. Then go to the /admin/ page for your Moodle, and then add the VLACS block to a course.

Cheers,
Matt