Role Capabilities

Role Capabilities

by Jeff Eastman -
Number of replies: 10
Hello,

I'm just wondering if there's a way to structure my user roles so that, for example, if I have 5 groups in a course, each user can only see other activities of users in their respective groups. I also need to be able to assign a group admin that can only see test results for their particular group. Does this make sense? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Eastman

Re: Role Capabilities

by Steve Hyndman -

I don't know how to do this, but am interested in the solution as well. This looks like something "useful" flexible roles & capabilities should be able to address.

Steve

In reply to Jeff Eastman

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is nothing to do with roles.

You do this using the Groups interface, and you set your course to be 'Separate groups mode'.

Acutally, no there is one roles-related thing you need to do, you need to either edit the definition of the Teacher role, to remove the 'accessallgroups' capability (or whatever it is called). Or override the role in this particular course, if you only want this option in that one course.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Steve Hyndman -

Not sure how editing the teacher role will do this...I'm assuming he wants a student in each of his 5 groups to be able to serve as the group admin...just an assumption:

I also need to be able to assign a group admin that can only see test results for their particular group.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Sorry, I used the word 'Teacher' instead of 'Group admin' - I guess I was assuming group admins would the teachers, or non-editing teachers, or something.

by Robert Brenstein -
I believe Tim means that removing 'accessallgroups' capability is needed for teachers (group leaders) to see only their groups. This has nothing to do with students.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Steve Hyndman -

Again, my "assumption" is that the "group leaders" are students...not 5 additional teachers in the class. 

For example, you have a class of 25 students with one "normal" teacher. The students are organized into 5 group of 5 students. One student in each group is designated the "group leader". They are still students in the class, but they are leaders of their groups. From my experience, this is a common scenario in online learning environments.

If you do something to a teacher role, then it seems you would need to assign this to these "student group leaders" in addition to their normal student role...and ensure your changes doesn't impact the "normal" teacher. 

My assumption of Jeff's situation may not be correct, but this is the situation my comments are based on.

Steve

by Robert Brenstein -
Jeff said that group leaders are supposed to see test results, which implies a teacher or tutor role. If they are really students at the same time, they probably need two logins into a course -- due to implementation of roles, AFAIK, access to grades precludes being able to take a test.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Jeff Eastman -
Thank you everyone for your input so far. I've covered some ground in finding a solution, but in doing so I've encountered another problem. I'd like to first shed some more light on how I need to set up my course. I'll use the example of having five groups of five:

The group leader does not necessarily have to be able to take quizzes. My main concern is that they can only see the quiz results for their group and no one else's. The main reason for this is because the groups within a course will actually be different dealerships around north america within a dealer network. Its paramount that they don't have access to other dealers' test results, however every dealership will still be accessing the same courses and training materials.

This leads me to me new problem. I need to be able to enrol a group (dealership) in a course as opposed to individual enrolment. So I've been trying to find a way to have site wide groups so that I don't have to create a new group (dealership) each time a new course is created. The solution I'm working on involves setting up all the courses as meta courses, and having all the dealerships as child courses. I'm still not quite at the point I'd like to be in terms of restricting access between dealerships but I think I'm almost there. Any ideas or insight is still greatly appreciated. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to further explain the solution I'm working on in case you find yourself in a similar situation.

Thank you!

In reply to Jeff Eastman

by Robert Brenstein -
What you are after does not seem to quite match the logic and structure of Moodle. It's still doable but with some extra effort. Course enrollment is always on individual basis, so global groups won't help with enrollment.

Since you are already using metacourses, have you considered creating a separate course for each dealership, where they could take the tests, for example, and have those courses enrolled in common courses with training materials and other shared activities?