Password request is not working

Password request is not working

by Shawn Treloar -
Number of replies: 13
We were on 1.8, now on 1.9. This feature worked on 1.8, not on 1.9.

When a user clicks on the "Help me log in" and then fills out the info, they get the following message:

Someone (probably you) has requested a new password for your
account on 'Sanford Fire Department Internal Training'.

Unfortunately passwords can not be reset on this site,
please contact the site administrator,

Is there a flag somewhere that needs to be set to allow password requests. I am getting ready to roll out a site to 400+ users, do not want to be getting phone calls all day asking what their password is.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Shawn Treloar

Re: Password request is not working

by Petr Kalis -
Hi
What authentication plugin do you use? Don't you have set 'No login' by any chance?
Do you have allowed same auth plugins as in 1.8? (So if users had been created by email auth, you need to have email auth plugin enabled...)
Hope this will give you some tips.
PK
In reply to Petr Kalis

by Shawn Treloar -
Under the manage authentication screen, I have "Manual accounts" and "No Login" both without the eyelash symbol. If I click on Settings for No Login, I get a screen that says "Auxiliary plugin that prevents user to login into system and also discards any mail send to user. Can be used to suspend user accounts." with a button that says "Save Settings". There are no settings to change or save.

I updated to 1.9 without making any changes, don't know if there were some backend changes that were made.

I create all users manually using import with a default password of changeme.

Thanks for your help.

by Petr Kalis -
Strange, it's working for manual created accounts for me..
Can you check what is Default role for all users in Site Administration Users Permissions User policies. It should be Authenticated user.
Then check if Authenticated user has moodle/user:changeownpassword rights.
Check please too if Forgotten password URL field is empty (on Site Administration Users Permissions Manage authentication)
PK
In reply to Petr Kalis

by Shawn Treloar -
That did it. The default role was set to guest.

Did 1.9 change the default role? The password request worked in 1.8.

Thanks

by Petr Kalis -
I don't know it should not, sometimes crazy things happen wink.
Glad you worked this out.
PK
In reply to Petr Kalis

by Ian Semey -
We had the same problem, I upgraded from 1.8.4 to 1.9+, and the default user role id was set to guest. After changing it, users could again reset their password.

Thanks for the tip.
In reply to Ian Semey

by Bob S -

I've the same problem, but nog solution.

I've done a clean install and use external databank for accounts.
My students recieve the same email as above.

I've checked the default rol, that is authenticated user.

Because I use external databank, do I have to writ my own password forget,
or can I use the Moodle functionality (< that doesn't work yet) ?

by Sri Bayu J. -

Hi

Could anyone help me out where else I shld look into within the settings?

My default role is already set to guest.

In reply to Petr Kalis

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi Petr,

In my case the answers are yes, yes and yes, but my users still do not get any email when they have lost their password even though Moodle tells them a mail has been sent out to them. We had this problem in 1.8 and we still have it in 1.9. Where can I check whether Moodle actually sends the message?

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Sri Bayu J. -

Hi hi

Having same problem on moodle 1.9.

Clicked on the "Yes, help me log in" button and received no emails. 

Default role for all users is set to Authenticated User & pretty much "yes" to all pointed out in this thread.

Sigh. Any clues?

In reply to Sri Bayu J.

by Karen Williams -

Hi

I'm having exactly the same problem. Everything appears to be as it should. Authenticated user etc, on 1.9.4+ and no emails are being received when someone has forgotten their password and clicks on "yes please help me log in".

Help please?!

Thanks

Karen

Bug? "No Login" not in standard Moodle

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Shawn,
Hope others can help. I have the same issue about "No Login" as an authentication feature in 1.9.1+ (6/18/08).
The splash page says: "Auxiliary plugin that prevents user to login into system and also discards any mail sent to the user. Can be used to suspend user accounts." And it has a save button.

I can not find the Auxiliary plugin in Modules & Plugins, checked the filter area of the site admin block, Users in course and user profile. I checked filters, security settings and other unlikely places in the site Administration block but again nothing caught my eye.

I am learning about enrolments by double checking the documentation in MoodleDocs against a Localhost 1.9+ . Did you ever find it? I am fairly certain such a feature does exist.

Turning off the entire site to block a single user is not what I call a solution smile

Thank you for your reply, it is nice to know that I am not the only one.

Best Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Bug? "No Login" not in standard Moodle

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi,

Is this what you need in a user profile? Click "Show advanced" first.
Attachment nologin.png