Problem exporting to Excel

Problem exporting to Excel

by Shawn Treloar -
Number of replies: 4
This is for version 1.9. What we are trying to do worked fine in 1.8.

I have roles set up with a role called Battalion Chief that has a legacy of Student. I want them to be able to monitor their employees progress. I have given them the following permissions:
Use text grade exportgradeexport/txt:view

Privacy risk
Publish TXT grade exportgradeexport/txt:publish

Privacy risk
Use Excel grade exportgradeexport/xls:view

Privacy risk

(Second column being allow).

Whenever they try to export, they get the following error:

error/moodle/nopermissions

From MoodleDocs

This is a general error that indicates the current user account does not have permission to do what you were attempting.

This feature is part of the new Roles framework in Moodle 1.7. If you believe that your roles for that user DO allow that action you were attempting, then you may have found a bug. Congratulations! Please help us by creating a new issue at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL and describing what you did in detail.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shawn T.

In reply to Shawn Treloar

OTR: Re: Problem exporting to Excel -

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Shawn,

This reply won't help you solve your problem but I just wanted to comment on that Role name "Battalion Chief". Wow, no messing with those guys!
In reply to Shawn Treloar

Re: Problem exporting to Excel

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Shawn, nice role name really!

Could be possible that, in order to be able to export gradebook data first you need to allow the general export switch:

moodle/grade:export

And then, allow as many of these, to allow different formats to be exported:

gradeexport/xls:view
gradeexport/xml:view
gradeexport/ods:view
gradeexport/txt:view

That should be enough, if I'm not wrong. Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Shawn Treloar -
Well, the site is for our fire department training, a Battalion Chief is the person in charge of a shift. I set up that role so that they can monitor their personnel so I don't have to ride herd on 80 people.

I changed that setting, didn't notice that one before. Look like it worked. Thanks for the help.

In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Why to we need that moodle/grade:export capability as well as the more specific ones. It looks like a historical legacy to me. Shouldn't we just remove it?