Blocks Errors in 1.3.1 - HELP!!

Blocks Errors in 1.3.1 - HELP!!

by John McMurray -
Number of replies: 8

We upgraded to 1.3.1 last night.

This morning we got to the home page OK www.gcitonline.qld.edu.au/moodle

We can logon OK BUT after logon we can't get back to the Home Page just get caught in a LOOP with get the following error:

"Naming conflict :

block online_users has the same title with an existing block, course_summary !"

The only way back to the home page is by logging out.

The problem seems to relate to the new 'blocks' feature.
It looks like once you log on you are operating in the new 1.3.1 environment but when you try to return to the front page it fails as the front page is an old customised 1.2.1 page.

If you navigate to the course BEFORE logging on you can access the course OK after logging on except then there are other 'blocks' problems as outlined below.

If you go into say the IT - Network Protocols Course, the old 1.2.1 'blocks' are missing. If you turn editing on, add the block(s) you want (OK) then turn editing off - they disappear!. Also add a block then press the 'move left' icon and they also disappear again!

There is some 'blocks' stuff going wrong here!!!!

As this is a live system I need some help soon - please!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John McMurray

Re: Blocks Errors in 1.3.1 - HELP!!

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi John,

can you confirm that your mdl_course table as a "blockinfo" field in it? And your "mdl_blocks" table, can you post their contents?

I've been able to enter to your "Sandpit" course (guest access) and I've seen that the blocks aren't present at all. It you say that "editing blocks" is not saving its work, perhaps the "missing" blockinfo field in the mdl_course table could be the problem.

Apart from this I've detected this warning when logging as guest in your server:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/gcitonli/public_html/moodle/login/index.php:1

Although I think that it isn't related to your blocks problem, you should solve it too. Perhaps your login/index.php file has some blank lines at the beginning?

Ciao smile

PD: Anyway, having a complete backup of Moodle (moodle and moodledata dirs and DB) is always a good thing to be able to come back to your original status (1.2). Specially in production environments!!
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by John McMurray -
Where is the mdl_course table?
In reply to John McMurray

by Rob Haeusler -
John, I've fixed the missing tables. The update appears not to have updated some tables correctly.

The blocks error is gone but still problem with management of blocks (which I'm currently working on). This is the error message when managing blocks

Warning ksort() expects parameter 1 to be an array, null given in ..... blocks.php line 120

Warning invalid argument supplied foreach() in .... blocks.php line 140

In reply to Rob Haeusler

by Lucia Siochi -

Hi Rob,

I'm trying to create a fresh install of 1.3.1, and have gotten the same error as John (regarding duplicate titles).  If I use the latest stable nightly build, are the errors you mentioned still present, and if so, will they prevent me from completing the installation?  (It takes some time to upload the entire package to my server!)

Thanks,
Lucia

In reply to Lucia Siochi

by John Papaioannou -
The duplicate titles issue happens because you have not uploaded all the latest language files in your Moodle installation. Specifically you need:

• lang/en/block_online_users.php
  • lang/en/block_course_summary.php

If you do upload these in your language directory, the duplicate name issue will be resolved. Now, I 'm not sure about the warning messages with ksort() and foreach(), but I have made some improvements in the error handling of admin/blocks.php. So, if after installing the language files you still have this problem:

• Grab the latest admin/blocks.php, install it and try again. You will hopefully get a more informative error message

Jon
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Lucia Siochi -

That did the trick; I don't get the duplicate titles error anymore.  Now I get a page with only two lines on it:

Activity since Thursday, 24 June 2004, 03:24 AM

Full report of recent activity...

I'll peruse through the messages in the forum to see if anything  is already posted that may help me with this.

Thanks!
Lucia

In reply to Lucia Siochi

Odp: Re: Blocks Errors in 1.3.1 - HELP!!

by Piotr Błajdo -
I have this some problem with Block Errors and i can't find solution one. 
In reply to Piotr Błajdo

Re: Odp: Re: Blocks Errors in 1.3.1 - HELP!!

by John Papaioannou -
This is a problem with PHP's memory limit. Click on the "memory limit" in my post to find out about it.