Glossary linked in Quiz?

Glossary linked in Quiz?

by Vedran Mušica -
Number of replies: 8
Hi.

Glossary is linked in Quiz even if Quiz has "secure window" settings. When Quiz is secured, it is not allowed to leave quiz before submitting it, but it is possible to see linked data from Glossary and open Glossary.

One way is to turn off automatic Glossary linking, but it is not good solution, because auto-linking is useful for other resources and activities.

Is this a bug?

Regards,
Vedran Mušica
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vedran Mušica

Re: Glossary linked in Quiz?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Vedran,
This question has been asked quite a few times on this forum. The ability for the students to see hyperlinked words to the glossary from within the quiz questions can only be considered a "bug" if you are using quizzes for testing purposes, versus for learning purposes. As a strong (and minority) defender of using quizzes for learning, I think it is useful that auto-linking is preserved within quizzes.
However, I agree that there should be a setting somewhere in the quiz parameters to turn off the glossary autolinking if the teachers wishes to do so.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Peter Poznyakov -
"I think it is useful that auto-linking is preserved within quizzes.
However, I agree that there should be a setting somewhere in the quiz parameters to turn off the glossary autolinking..."
Agree with you completely, Joseph

by Miguel Santos -

Verdan,

I simply hide the glossary and any notes from the time the quiz opens till it closes.

This disables autolinking, because it is not visible to students and also removes temptation to look at notes on Moodle while taking the quiz.

In reply to Miguel Santos

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Of course, being able to look things up online is a useful skill, but it takes time. In a timed quiz, students who have knowledge in their memory will always have an advantage, and users who are quick at using online resources would have a small advantage. In many situations, that is perfectly reasonable.
In reply to Miguel Santos

by Vedran Mušica -
It isn't problem to me, but I have numerous teachers who want to work with Moodle, but don't want to mess much.

The ideal option would be to have some switch inside quiz like "Don't allow hot -linking with resources and glossaries" or something like that.

Best regards,
Vedran Mušica

by Todd Thornton -

The easiest way I've found to keep items from auto linking in the quiz/other resources is to also check the case sensitive setting in the glossary. For instance, use uppercase in the glossary and lowercase in the quiz questions (or vice versa) and it won't link in the quiz/other resources.

Example: Wiki (Glossary term/title)

Question: What is a wiki? (no link for wiki)

Todd

by John Isner -
It's time-consuming, but you can add <nolink>Forum</nolink> tags around words that might be auto-linked (like Forum, earlier in this sentence). You need to toggle into HTML mode to do this. Not a great solution, but it works.

by Manish Verma -
The switch to disable auto-linking during test taking is desirable. However, there is a work-around here.