Mirror classes...

Mirror classes...

by Jon Cochran -
Number of replies: 1
Hi,

I've got an interesting situation with our Moodle installation. We're using the external enrollment plugin, and I've written a sync program that pulls information/changes out of our SIS and pushes it to an external database which the external enrollment plugin is keyed to.

So far, so good. Everything works, and students are automagically enrolled.

The bad... some of our teachers maintain one class in Moodle for multiple sections of the same class. ie, they teach Spanish I three times a day, they just want to maintain one class. So far, I haven't found a way around this, as we have multiple teachers teaching the same course code, and we really use course code + section to key things in our SIS. Confusing, maybe, so I'll try to break it down. Cue the music.

220 -- Spanish I (220 being the course code)
220-01 -- Teacher A
220-02 -- Teacher C
220-03 -- Teacher A
220-04 -- Teacher B

So, Teacher A would just like to maintain one class, and the information above is really all I can extract from our SIS in terms student enrollments. I've tried using Meta-Courses, but I'm discovering that they really don't work the way I had hoped/prayed.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to hear them! smile

Thanks,

Jon
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Cochran

Re: Mirror classes...

by J S -
I do exactly what you're talking about with groups. I give each student-group an enrollment key and then they enroll in the course with their key. It puts them into a group and keeps them separate. I believe it's part of Moodle 1.9, the latest one as of this message.

Both groups see the same course outline, quizzes, etc. The forums are separated(unless specified otherwise), some content is separated but I can't remember all the details. It basically looks the same to both groups unless you do a group activity.

Make sure to add the teacher to the groups as well.