GIFT format true/false feedback

GIFT format true/false feedback

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
When a true false question is constructed "interactively" it is possible to give feeback for *both* true and false answers. However the GIFT format true/false only seems to have the capability of storing one bit of feedback.

Is this right? or is the documentation out of date, or what... any advice appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: GIFT format true/false feedback

by Paul Shew -
The documentation is currently correct. But perhaps in a future verson, both feedback options will be available.

In creating the GIFT format and filter, I wrote it so that each feedback is associated with one answer. But with TRUE/FALSE questions, you only write one answer (the correct one). So there's space for only one feedback. We would need to make some changes in the format (plus editing the code) to accomodate two seperate feedbacks for T/F questions.

If you have any ideas, please let us know.
In reply to Paul Shew

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, at some point the true/false edit page has changed and there are now both feedback possibilities. Its actually all my fault - I raised the lack of feedback for both as a bug. If you think about it long enough it is possible to come up with uses for true false where this is appropriate (as one of my users did).

I don't know if you noticed, but I just added a framework to enable export of quizzes. The only format so far complete is GIFT format - I just noticed this along the way and its difficult to think of a backward compatible fix for this (well for me anyway smile )

by Paul Shew -
I did notice your quiz export framework. That's terrific!! big grin

The current format for feedback with T/F questions is
Grant is buried in Grant's tomb.{FALSE#wrong answer feedback}

Do you have any ideas for how we can adapt the format to include two feedbacks? How's this:
Grant is buried in Grant's tomb.{FALSE#wrong answer feedback#right answer feedback}

In reply to Paul Shew

by Howard Miller -
Thanks - but I think exporting is much easier than importing smile

Well, I can't think of anything better for the true/false feedback, so lets go with that!

While we are here, what about adding in 'Cloze' questions and 'Description' questions, then all types would be covered?

In reply to Paul Shew

by Howard Miller -
Just to put the pressure on smile I have now added the 'right answer' feedback to the gift export - only if it exists though.

by Paul Shew -
We're heading into finals here in Japan, so I won't be able to work on GIFT for a while, but I'll put this at the top of my Moodle to-do list. Unless, of course, someone else does it first. wink

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Howard Miller,
Wonderful! I have been waiting for the ability to export quizes. I make mistakes. I change the texts on which they are based. I edit them online. And then my GIFT files need editing too. Now I can just export them.
This is in in the CVS I presume.
Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Howard Miller -
Hi Tim,

Yes - its in CVS. I haven't done a huge amount of testing so far. I would appreciate somebody having a look and pass on any comments.

I have currently only attempted GIFT, which isn't particularly difficult. I am doing some research into QTI format too. I was coming to the conclusion that it is far too complex (ie, *nobody* actually understands it), but I spoke to somebody just yesterday who uses for real, so there might be some progress.

I also have an idea to put together a Moodle specific XML import/export format (ie, I just invent the DTD). I intend to start work on that next. My thinking is that firstly it will comprehensively cover all Moodle question types and secondly you can always write some XSLT to convert to some other format.

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thanks Howard,
I am not sure when this will be but I will try and get testing.
I seem to be so tired that I am getting more tired and behind with my work.
But this is a feature that I have wanted for some time.

There is a guy here at my place that created a xml set for moodle/gift because it was easier to integrate into a database, and as a half-way house when converting between the format that one of our teachers used on his quizzes and GIFT. Here an example file, but it contains Japanese.

Here is a translation of the format the is using.

<problem id="question ID" type="Question type" answer="answer">
    <group name="Group Name" 
           name2="2nd Level Group Name" 
           name3="3rd Level Group Name" 
    />
    <comment>
        Comment
    </comment>
    <text>
        Test text
        Test text
    </text>
</problem>

<problem id="Question ID" type="selection">
    <group ... />
    <text>
        Question text
        <answer eval="correct">
        	multiple choice answer
        </answer>
        <answer eval="wrong">
        	multiple choice answer
        </answer>
        Question Text
</text> </problem> <problem id="question ID" type="yes-no"> <group ... /> <text> Question Type </text> </problem>

Tim