user:viewhiddendetails vs course:viewhiddenuserfields

user:viewhiddendetails vs course:viewhiddenuserfields

by Bente Olsen -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
What is the difference between the capabilities user:viewhiddendetails and
course:viewhiddenuserfields?

I assume that user:viewhiddendetails, means that a person with that capability can view eg. someone else's hidden e-mail-address.
Moodle Docs: This allows a user to view hidden fields associated with a particular user
But it is not clear to me what the capability course:viewhiddenuserfields is used for.
Moodle Docs: This allows a user to view hidden user fields, which fields is that?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: user:viewhiddendetails vs course:viewhiddenuserfields

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Bente,

The two capabilities both relate to user fields which have been hidden by an administrator (in Administration > Users > Permissions > User policies).

The capability user:viewhiddendetails allows a user to view any hidden user fields (such as description, city/town, country, web page, ICQ number, Skype ID, Yahoo ID, AIM ID, MSN ID and last access) on users' profile pages.

The capability course:viewhiddenuserfields allows a user to view any hidden user fields (such as city/town, country or last access) on the course participants page.

Thanks for asking about these capabilities. approve I have edited the documentation pages so that hopefully it's easier to understand now. If not, please say so! wink
In reply to Helen Foster

Ang: Re: user:viewhiddendetails vs course:viewhiddenuserfields

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Helen

That really cleared things up for me!
- and show that you never know what others might construct their understanding of things smile
I think that you have done a perfect edition of the documentation too, I do not expect that it will leave any doubts. Thanks!