Be great to have a Sticky for each Moodle forum - Particularly this one

Be great to have a Sticky for each Moodle forum - Particularly this one

by Rick Blanc -
Number of replies: 10

Those of us who are not familiar with all of the modules or the technologies of Moodle could at least be briefed on what is a Dialogue module and then proceed reading.

There two things that would make the discussion rooms a better place.

A Sticky that would:

1) Give a brief description of the product which is being discussed

2) Establish the theme or reason for the forum. It is obvious that forums are to help one another.

A simple statement or slogan that embodies the spirit and the heart-of-service here would add a touch of refinement. In this forum I notice that Ray Kingdon is quite helpful and accommodating.  If I were giving out a Cutomer Servce Award - it would without question, go to Ray.

It is amazing how much you can learn from just visiting these discussion areas.

Closing: It would be great to have some basic understanding of the product so that visitors can better understand the dialogue between forum members.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Blanc

Re: Be great to have a Sticky for each Moodle forum - Particularly this one

by Ger Tielemans -

Just a thougt, triggered by your remark:

What if a discussion has one or more moderators and they could write a summary at the beginning of a new ("their") thread...

...and they update that field when the current focus of their thread is moving (but interesting smile ) of topic...

...and a normal user can see this updated summary as a mouse-over-popup when he goes over the titles in the thread?

In reply to Rick Blanc

Re: Be great to have a Sticky for each Moodle forum - Particularly this one

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've updated the forum introduction (using Ray's text from the help files), is that better?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Can a Sticky be within a particular forum?

by Rick Blanc -
Yes, the added information now helps others to qualify this forum while getting the definition of the word "Dialogue Module."

A separate question on the same topic, does Moodle allow Stickies to lie within a forum rather than outside? By definition, this means that the Sticky would always be in first place.
In reply to Rick Blanc

by Tom Murdock -
Currently, stickies don't exist in Moodle (that I know of), these are wishes and ideas.

Hotly discussed. mixed
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Ray Kingdon -
There is a general "sticky" in a Dialogue, it's the description the teacher gives to the particular dialogue instance. But I agree the individual dialogues between teacher and student do not have any stickies (if you ignore the subject wink )
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Ger Tielemans -

Now and then I look at this stickie http://sourceforge.net/projects/y-notes/ 

(Go to the home page for a demo)

One day I will integrate it in my Moodle smile

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Rick Blanc -
HI Ger,

Nice to hear from you Ger and to experience  y-notes, I think it is innovative indeed. I will start another discussion of the topic on Moodle's Co-existence With Java Applets - or does it?

In reply to Rick Blanc

by Hamilton Lima -
I believe that every module should be able to include any php file with the item in the course view or when showing the detail

Something that we can configure to show : before, after on the left or right at each content, doing this in a separate module let us make bookmarks, add applets, and wherever want to allowing an easy integration.

In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: My Notes module

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
To get off the topic of forum stickies, but regarding the y-notes project--a nifty little thing Ger.  But, it may be out because of its dependence upon Java.  However, having a My Notes module would be great and something I have used the journal for, but: 

Thoughts:  Would it be possible to tweak Ray's Dialogue module so that users would basically be carrying on a running dialogue with themselves, i.e. there is no "reply" but just a "next entry".  (And obviously no connection with email notification). 

Wouldn't this be neat, so that users have a dated, ongoing notetaking systemthoughtful.

In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: My Notes module

by Ray Lawrence -

Or more like a journal with a date stamp. Would it be easier to use the forum module and modify it so that only the student and teacher could add entries. This would provide the date stamping effect (perhaps this could be hidden if not required as an option). Also there could be an option to allow editing at anytime (as now),only within a defined period or until the teacher has responded.

Teacher's responses to the Journal would also be set in the context of the preceding entries.

The subscribe option already present in the forum module could be set as desired by the teacher. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, there is an issue with Dialogue in that the first contact is not notified to the teacher which this could solve.

Clearly if the notifications matched the current ones from forums then the journal entry would be in the email - would this be acceptable?

The only option to incorporate from the current journal would be the date availability of the Journal.