Regrading messes up all grades

Regrading messes up all grades

by Ileana Bladé Mendoza -
Number of replies: 11
Hello,

I attempted to do a "regrading" on a quizz, after I noticed one mistake in one of the answers. The quizz consisted of 20 different statements (so 20 answers) on one topic (so 1 question), only half of which were correct. Correct (wrong) answers gave 10% (-10%) partial credit for a total of 10. Answers within the questions were "remixed" to minimize cheating.
After I hit the "regrade" the button, after the quizz was closed, all grades changed randomly. Upon close inspection, and with the help of a before and after printout, I realized the answers had been scrambled up but not the checked boxes ! Hence the random grades.
I tried changing the closing date to after the current date (seemed to work for similar problems for other people in the forum) and it got worse. Now most of the grades are 10 (max grade used to be 4).
I can't figure out what version of Moodle the site is using. If it helps the URL is
http://campusvirtual.ub.edu/
Losing these grades is a big problem and the students are understandably upset. They also were unable to see the "feedback" on the questions they really had missed.
If there is any way of recovering the original grades, that would be great. Unfortunately most of the students had filled in the quizz that very day, so the backupcopy is no good.

Thanks for any help/comment.

Ileana

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ileana Bladé Mendoza

Re: Regrading messes up all grades

by Pierre Pichet -
"Correct (wrong) answers gave 10% (-10%) partial credit for a total of 10. Answers within the questions were "remixed" to minimize cheating."
"on one topic (so 1 question),"

Could you specify which question type did you used to create this 1 question or questions ?(and give an example)

Pierre
In reply to Pierre Pichet

yes, it was a Multiple Choice type question, with more than one correct answer  (multiple answers allowed).  Just one question though, and 19 possible answers. Option "mix answers" checked.

(Sorry I use Moodle in another language. Don't know what the options are really called in English Moodle)

By the way it looks as though it is version 1.8

Thanks

Ileana

by Pierre Pichet -
I have a 1.8 moodle site on which you can log as a teacher user:moodle and password:moodle.
I made a similar Multiple choice question (1,2,3 are good (33%) and 4,5,6 bad (-100%)) in a quiz named testshuffle
I cannot reproduce the mixing when regrading.

http://132.208.141.198/moodle_18/

Sorry

Pierre

P.S. there was perhaps a bug but I don't have the time now to do the search on the tracker.

In reply to Pierre Pichet

Pierre,

Thanks for trying. To be sure, I can't replicate it either, with a simple test of my own in my server. So it's probably a complicated bug (as I would expect since no one else seems to have encountered it ) and it must depend on the specific circumstances under which I did the regrading, namely:

- it was right around the time of closing of the test

- feedbacks were also added/changed (and then I noticed some of them were truncated ...)

- 1 question/20 answers

etc ...

However, the bug is definitively there since yesterday, when I changed the closing time so the quizz remained open and regraded it again (I made no other change) it changed all the grades again and this time it also messed up the checked boxes, so that many (but not all!) of the grades ended up being 10. (in my first regrading attempt the order of the checked boxes did not change, only the order of the 20 answers).

Anyway, what I really need to know at this point is:

1) Are the original answers/checked-boxes pairs lost forever or will the Moodle people at my Universty be able to retrieve them from the database?

2) Is it generally risky to do a "regrade" ? It wasn't only the grades that got lost but the students were also unable to look at the feedback for the answers they really had missed.

Ileana

Re: Regrading messes up all grades( referred toTim)

by Pierre Pichet -
Ileana,
Sorry, I cannot help you
Tim has a better knowledge on the quiz and grading process and should be able to pinpoint the problem.

Pierre

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There was a bug where editing a question could jumble up the order of the solutions on the editing form. (It was intermittent, it did not happen every time you edited the question, so it was really hard to find and fix, which is why I remember it.) It was indeed present in Moodle 1.7.2. Yes, it was only fixed in Moodle 1.8. That's bad, the fix should have been applied to the 1.7.x stable branch too. I'll try to do get that checked in tomorrow, but I am having trouble with CVS now.

The fix is, in /moodle/question/type/multichoice/editquestion.php, change
 = get_records_list, , >answers;

to

= get_records_list, , >answers, "id";

That is, you need to add , "id"

Of course, that only stops the problem happening again. You can fix your current mess if you can remember the order you originally typed the options into the question. If you put them back into the original order, then do a regrade, then everything should sort itself out.
In reply to Tim Hunt

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELPFUL RESPONSE !!!!

I do have a printout of my old questions (almost all of them anyway), so I'll try your solution after the campus people fix the bug.

Ileana

Upon second thought, since I edited the question a couple of times (one during the test opening times) there is no way to fix the grades for everybody with the above solution right, only for the people who answered up until the first editing. Am I correct ?

Thanks

Ileana

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm afraid so. Sorry.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Well, it's not the end of the story ...
The bug is fixed
I managed to reconstruct the order of the quizz that most (if not all) students filled in. Good thing I have my old printout.
I hit "regrade".
The grades look about right (I remember many of them).
There is still a problem though, which I can see clearly because of my printout.

The last of the 19 possible answers shows up as a blank in the students attempts ; as a result that question is not taken into account in the final grade, which can then be off by 1 point if the student checked the question (since that question is incorrect and should count as -1 or -10%)

I am attaching a PDF where you can see the blank response. Unfortunately I had to truncate the PDF so you can't see how the final grade is wrong (should be 2 instead of 3).

Thanks