Submitted assignments - backup?

Submitted assignments - backup?

by Alistair Gill -
Number of replies: 2
I've been asked by a colleague to look at their moodle install as they've been having some issues. Unfortunately from what I can tell, something has gone bad permissions wise somewhere down the line, they don't get a "add blocks" block and turning editing on anywhere in the site breaks the PHP, debug mode throws up all sorts of odd errors.

I've decided to reinstall the moodle instance to "start from scratch" and remove all the issues.

The moodle has made extensive use of the Assignment module (And you thought I'd posted in the wrong forum!!), so there are quite alot of files that have been submitted by users and feedback given. These files really need to be retained so that they can be reinserted into the new install once its up and running. My question is, how do I go about backing up the "Assignments" and the corresponding feedback etc.. so that I can restore this into the new install?

Any help is very very gratefully received.

Thanks,
Al
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alistair Gill

Re: Submitted assignments - backup?

by Gary Anderson -
Alistair:

Hopefully this is not too late to help, but since no one has yet responded...

From your description, things should work just fine if you replace the scripts . The student submissions and teacher feedback and all other activities of the site are kept in the database and those won't change if you just change the scripts. Any upload files are kept in the moodledata folder which is also separate from the scripts.

The only thing that you need to be careful of is that you replace the scripts with the same version (unless you want to go through the issues of upgrading). And if any customizations have been made to the scripts, those would of course be lost in this process.

The only file you may want to retain is config.php which gives the specific information of the site. And if there were any add-on modules or blocks, you would need to restore those also.

Good luck.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

Re: Submitted assignments - backup?

by Alistair Gill -
Gary,

Thanks very much for your reply!

The moodle install is now (nearly) back to normal. After having replaced all the scripts, moodle was running fine, I ran the cron and then hit the notifications. This then reinstalled the "Excercise" module. Unfortunately the Notifications page is now broken and will not display. Hitting the /admin/index.php simply produces a white screen (of death?!).

Thanks again for your help, hopefully I'll get the admin page working again too soon!

Alistair