not able to start new forum threads, site-wide problem

not able to start new forum threads, site-wide problem

by Kim Scannell -
Number of replies: 2
Hi Moodlers, I hope you can help me with this odd error. Admin, teachers, students can login our Moodle, edit, add new resources, upload docs, and reply to forums; but no one is able to start a new forum thread. This is happening site-wide in all courses and forums.

Of course, the forums are set to allow replies and discussions.

We just moved to a new server, upgraded to MySQL 5.0.32 and PHP 5.2.0.8.7, but still using Moodle 1.6.1.

Starting new forum discussions/threads worked before we moved to new server; problem began immediately on the new server. Everything else works great tho.
The Environment settings register the new versions of PHP and MySQL as 'OK'.

Now, I just turned debug on to log PHP errors. It's supposed to log errors in /tmp/php.err, but nothing appears there. Is there an override in the code that keeps it from logging PHP errors in that file?

Or any other ideas? Thanks much!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kim Scannell

Re: not able to start new forum threads, site-wide problem

by Kim Scannell -
update: edited config file to get php error logging to show, as stated in the install faqs (*red face*).

Error was Object of class stdClass could not be converted to string.

PHP5 handles this differently than PHP4, so we just converted back to PHP4, and it works again.

Cheap and dirty solution, but this is a temporary server for us at the moment. Someday, we'll move up to 1.8 smile