Clicking a link in a lesson necessary

Clicking a link in a lesson necessary

by Leslie Sandoval -
Number of replies: 5
This may be another course design issue but I wanted to find out of there was a way we could do this.
Within our lesson we have a link to an external web site. While we know we can't control whether or not people look at any of the content on that site we at least want to make sure they actually click on the link before they're allowed to proceed. Is there an easy way to handle this inside the lesson? Is there some way to do it outside the lesson?
Thanks so much.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leslie Sandoval

Re: Clicking a link in a lesson necessary

by Clinton Randolph -

I don't know of a programming fix, but I have a low tech solution.  Make sure you have a question page at the end of the lesson and ask a couple of questions requiring information that would only be known if they had gone to the site.  I do this with reading assigments all the time.

Clint Randolph, PMD

Training Officer

Liberty Ambulance Service

In reply to Clinton Randolph

by Leslie Sandoval -
If this was a content thing then that'd be a great idea. smile Actually the short version of the story is we're trying to force people to take (or at least look at) the end of course survey. We were originally going to have the survey outside the lesson but then we ran into the issue of not being able to set dependencies at will unless they're in lessons (and our site administrator wasn't keen on installing a plugin so we could have more control over all that).
So I had the bright idea to just plop the link to the course survey into the lesson because we could make sure people didn't move on until they'd taken the survey. I just forgot the little logistics issue that someone could click "End of Lesson" without even clicking on the survey link.
Foiled again...

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Leslie,
I like Clinton's thinking. You could even warn them on the page, that you might be asking them a question later. But I suspect somebody has figured out how to do this who is a little bit slicker than us low tec people smile

I believe that if you used a flavor of activity locking, you could insure that people would have to look at a resource or activity before proceeding. For example check this out in demo.lesson a web link resource

Wonder if you can do something like some sort of automatic frame. I think this is what flash does with some code. (Yes I am ignorant.)

I guess you could put it in a Lesson and use the dependency settings. The embedded link would preceed the "B" lesson. The "B" lesson would be dependent upon the person staying in the "A" lesson 5 minutes and answering Clifton's question(s) correctly (100% according to my site administrator).

Hopes this gives you some food for thought. Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Leslie Sandoval -
Hi Chris,
Unfortunately our inability to use Activity Locking is what got us into this mess in the first place, like I was telling Clinton. We're trying to find a way to make sure people at least look at (if not complete) the end of course survey without installing external modules because our system guy wasn't too keen on the idea.
I figured there might be some code or something that I could put in with the HTML editor but I just can't wrap my brain around how to fix this one. Too much cold medicine.
Thanks again. smile

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Oh "The site administrator". No 3rd party modules? Get rid of the cold medicine, how about a single malt scotch? Maybe in a weak moment the SA might go for Certificate which does not have it's hooks into that many modules. There is a condition for both quiz and survey dependency before a certificate can be issued.

My SA is very similar, no sense of adventure period, when it comes to mission critical stuff. Best Chris