View Grades not working

View Grades not working

by Satish Talim -
Number of replies: 7
Moodle's scaring me.

I am using Moodle 1.8.2+ and my course with 2100+ participants just started yesterday. As admin, I wanted to see the Grades of my students but since yesterday, I get a blank screen. I had posted this problem on another forum here -
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=87612
but no responses so far.

I case I upgrade to Anthony's Gradebook plugin, will I retain my old data? Any feedback on this plugin - is it better than what comes as default with 1.8?
In reply to Satish Talim

Re: View Grades not working

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Please let me know how you downloaded the GBPv2 plugin. You can turn on debugging to show ALL PHP errors (not developer mode) and should see more information rather than a blank page. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Satish Talim -
Anthony, I have not yet installed your plugin. The problem I am facing is from the default Gradebook with Moodle 1.8.2+

I'd like to install your plugin and would like to know -
a. Which is the latest version for Moodle 1.8.2+
b. How does one install the same?
c. Would I loose whatever 'grades' data I have already with me?

For the default Gradebook, I noticed that 4 students who belong to a group can view the grades (attached screenshot) but the other 2100 students who are not members of any group don't see any - even me as an admin.

All help appreciated.
Attachment Grades.jpg
In reply to Satish Talim

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Let me start by giving you two options and explaining the current difference. The latest version is available at:

http://download.moodle.org/patches/gradebookplus_v2_1.7.zip

It includes patches to the backup and restore routines so that the grade_events are included in course backups. I have not been able to do a great deal of testing of the backup/restore changes but I did get it working on my test server. I currently have it the latest version (HEAD) of GBPv2 in CVS so that others can test it and report back. Once I get a green light from other users, I will move it into the 18STABLE version which is available at:

http://download.moodle.org/patches18/gradebookplus_v2_1.7.zip

Depending on how you do your backups (or if you simply want to help with testing the new backup/restore functions) will determine which one you want. If you are already doing a full database backup then it is less important to have the course backup/restore routines since you will already have the data backed up in your database backup. However, if you are using the course backup link to create a zip file and would need to recover the grade_events then you will want the latest.

Most users with find the core gradebook meets their needs just fine. The real advantage of GBPv2 is to edit the grades in the gradebook. The grade_events can be simulated by creating an offline assignment and putting the grades in there. Those are the two main features of the patch (IMO).

To install, with either zip file simply copy the files into the /grade folder. Then copy the /grade/lang/en_utf8/grades.php file to /lang/en_utf8/grades.php so that the new language strings are available. Because this is a patch (not a plugin) it overwrite the existing files in the grade folder.

If you are having trouble with groups, I would recommend first trying to upgrading to the latest 1.8+ code as I recall somewhat recently fixing some stuff related to groups. That will likely fix your problem without having to use the GBPv2 patch. Let me know if upgrading your site does not help (or if you need help upgrading).

Peace - Anthony

by Satish Talim -
Anthony, I definitely do need help upgrading. I have -
Current Version: 1.8.2+ (2007021520)

Thanks.

by Satish Talim -
I managed to get the groups going but now I have a different problem as can be seen below (the Group has 2100+ participants) -

Attachment grades.jpg