OFFLINE Moodle

OFFLINE Moodle

by Chris Clark -
Number of replies: 10

Hi everyone,

I'll be presenting Moodle to our Department of Education this week, in an attempt to convince them to put the National Syllabus online.

I've prepared a PowerPoint presentation, though would also like to show them the actual site (www.thebarn.za.net).

I've never trusted live demos, so is there anyone who presented Moodle offline before? What software did you have to install (e.g. Apache), and what would be the best way of doing it?

TIA,

Chris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Clark

Re: OFFLINE Moodle

by Ray Lawrence -

Hi Chris,

You can probably achieve what you want (assuming Windows based computer) by installing EasyPHP. This will install Apache/PHP/MySQL and creates a "web server". You then install moodle in the normal way (locally). Create a backup up your site / course and restore it to your local copy.

In reply to Chris Clark

by Jeffery Watkins -

I like PHPDev at http://www.firepages.com.au/

Same type of local server setup Ray mentioned.  I actually have a 4 gb mp3 player that I have my phpdev on.  This allows me to carry around my entire local server... Moodle, PostNuke...etc, all I need is a computer with a USB port and I am good to go.  Plus, I can listen to music while waiting to demo Moodle!!!

In reply to Chris Clark

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

I use easyphp and xampp on different clients. Without problems.

I made also an CD with an installation (WAMP + moodle) on c:\ and copied it on the presentation client at the customer (80-100 MB) and. I delete all the files after the presentation. No problem

In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by rick shepherd -
This is fine. But, how are we doing with porting Moodle activities to plastic? i.e. a course created in Moodle as a standalone app. Yes, I know it's weird, but I have my reasons.

shy
In reply to rick shepherd

by Chris Clark -

Hi All,

Using Ray's advice, I also had a look at the installation docs:

http://moodle.org/doc/?file=installamp.html

Through a bit of struggling, I finally got it wink  Though to import my zip files, I need to run PHPINI.EXE (according to the manual), which is supposed to be located in my EasyPHP folder, except it isn't, because I need to enable zlib.

anyone got any ideas, or a copy of this file for me?

Thanks again,

Chris

In reply to Chris Clark

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
You don't run phpini.exe.  You right click on the Easy-PHP icon in your system tray, and choose Configure->PHP Extensions from the menu, the check php_zip and click the Apply button.
In reply to Chris Clark

by Bob Boufford -

Chris,

There has been extensive discussion on another forum of putting Moodle on a CD or USB flash drive, http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5507. Many of the issues discussed there will be applicable to your situation.

If you have a Windows notebook, EasyPHP will be the easiest to setup and run as a service. While it takes a a little more effort to setup as a Windows service, XAMPP particularly mini-XAMPP does a good job and is the one recommended for running Moodle from a USB flash drive. Others have been recommending Knoppix to run from a CD.

I've never given a live demo with Moodle but I have given numerous live demos from a "server on a notebook" of another commecial CMS. Very handy if the organizer did not have an Internet connection or worse, a flaky one that would die 5 minutes before the presentation. And wireless is definitely not to be trusted when doing a live demo.

With many of the current notebook computers, you could even run a decent workshop of 15 participants.

Cheers,

Bob

In reply to Bob Boufford

by Chris Clark -

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help, it is really appreciated.  I'm running on EasyPHP, and just trying to find an easier way to copy (backup) the whole online website and put it on my Windows laptop... but alas... no success... have tried reading the docs, and gone through it, though it seems I'll have to do each course seperately.

The main question I wanted to ask: I've noticed on my laptop, running Moodle on EasyPHP, that I can't upload user pictures. It just doesn't have the upload option.

Is this a server related problem to EasyPHP, or is it a new Moodle 1.3.1 problem?

Thanks again,

Chris

In reply to Chris Clark

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Right click on the Easy-PHP icon in your system tray, and choose Configure->PHP Extensions from the menu, the check php_gd2 and click the Apply button.
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Chris Clark -

Thanks Zbigniew!!

I'll be quite a Moodle Pro after this wink

For the sake of completeness, for any other newbies reading this forum:  After using Zbigniew's advice and ticking php_gd2 and php_zip, you have to go back to your Variables page, under the Administration section, to allow Moodle to re-detect that you have this GD2 version running.