multi answer question problem

multi answer question problem

by Gunilla Brattberg -
Number of replies: 4

I have a site with lessons where I use questions without any grading. All answers are correct. It works properly when I use the single-question-page, i.e. I can jump to the next page. When I use a multi-question-page, a short-answer-question page or a numeric-answer question page it doesn`t work. When I try to jump to the next page I come back to the same page, although I have chosen the next page in all alterative answers.

Do anybody know What is wrong?

Gunilla

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gunilla Brattberg

Re: multi answer question problem

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Gunilla,
Humm, this has to do with the nature of each specific question type. Lesson is looking for the correct answer.

Take a close look at your multiple choice questions that work. All answers go to the next page. Students get to make one choice, all choices are correct because they go to the next page.

I tried a short answer in demo.moodle.org. I left all answers blank. The continue button appeared because there was no answer for it to evaluate. Since you want the student to attempt an answer, you need to put a wildcard "*" in the first answer and double check that it is sending the student to the next page.

I believe issue for a numeric and a multi answer question is that there is no way to accept all possible answers as correct. At the moment there is not a wild card you can put in the first answer of a numeric question (like I suggested for the short answer question) that will select all answers as being correct. My suggestion is to use the short answer as if it were a numeric and see how that works.

In the case of a multi answer question, it is the logic in the question type itself. This is hard for me to explain. The student either gets the question completely right or get the question completely wrong in this type of Lesson question. This is not obvious to the teacher but is the way it works in the Lesson module. So if you set all the answers to this page, any and all answers would be wrong. If you set all answers to next page, then the student would have to select all the answers to get the question correct. I don't have a suggestion on how to work around this problem.

I believe Quiz questions handle things differently. You can give credit for a wrong answer in multi answer question and you can use a wild card in a numeric question.

I hope this helps. It was a simple question but a many layered answer smile

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

Svar: Re: multi answer question problem

by Gunilla Brattberg -

Hi Chris,

Thank you for a quick answer and suggestions of how I can go around the problem. I will try.

I work with rehabilitation of pain patients and I ask them to describe their pain state (intensity, duration, etc.), that´s why all answers are correct.

Another problem which you perhaps have a solution for is that I want the participants to see the items they have chosen when they are ready with the lesson. It that possible? The result report seems to be dependent on graded questions.

Gunilla

In reply to Gunilla Brattberg

Re: Svar: Re: multi answer question problem

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
I don't think Lesson is what you are looking for. Have you considered one of the non-standard Modules like Questionnaire or maybe Feedback? I think they may even give you data back, as well as allowing the person to see how they responded before. Plus there are lots of types of questions to select, including multi answer, even short or long answer blocks.

Not sure what "when they are ready with the lesson" means.

I think you are looking for data points for a single individual. Say same questions every 3 weeks, separated by Lessons and other work the client needs to do on a daily basis. You want the person to be able to review their answers and maybe compare them with the previous questionnaire(s). Plus I would think you want to export the data to something like Excel or Access for more analysis on both individual and group results. While we do not export data (we print reports), I believe this is a feature of either of these modules.

We also use a flavor of Activity Locking. Thus you could make filling out a questionnaire necessary before you give the client some things to do via a Lesson. Or it could be the other way around. AL is similar to the new dependency feature in Lesson, except it covers all activities and some resources.

Hope this helps Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Svar: Re: multi answer question problem

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I agree with Chris that apparently what Gunilla needs is a survey type module such as the Feedback or the Questionnaire modules. Both are 3rd-party modules, to be found on the Modules and Plugins page and installed on top of a regular Moodle distribution. More info can be found in the Questionnaire and Feedback forum, especially in this comparative thread.

All the best,

Joseph