Issue 44 - video: making a backup of a moodle cms site - tutorial

Issue 44 - video: making a backup of a moodle cms site - tutorial

by Jakub Kałużny -
Number of replies: 3
My work was to make a voice-over video about making a backup of a site based on Moodle CMS. I have also shown how to restore a site from a backup. Please, review this video:

Thanks a lot,
Gadulix

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jakub Kałużny

Re: Issue 44 - video: making a backup of a moodle cms site - tutorial

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi,
I looked at your video and it looks quite nice. The quality of image and sound is very good, especially considering the youtube limitations and the fact that good software to produce this is hard to find. Can you share which software you used?

I found a few things about the content that could IMHO be improved. I refer to the task:
how to back up a whole Moodle site:

There are 3 things to backup: the moodledata folder, the moodle script (especially if modified), the database. The moodledata folder should not be accessible from the web, so not in the same folder as the Moodle scripts. What I understood from the video is not good practice and only for test purposes.

making regular file copies

You might want to show how to add the shell commands for backup and copy to a cron tab using a script and automate the backup on a daily basis.

use some simple shell commands

Don't use phpmyadmin for a backup: it takes to long and might fail on a very big database. Besides, very hard to automate wink. Use mysqldump -u username -p databasename > sql-file and mysql -u username -p databasename < sql-file instead.

In reply to koen roggemans

Re: Issue 44 - video: making a backup of a moodle cms site - tutorial

by Andre Bernal -
YouTube Video for backing up moodle on linux:
In reply to Andre Bernal

Re: Issue 44 - video: making a backup of a moodle site on linux

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Andre,

Thanks for your video showing how to backup a whole Moodle site on Linux. I'm sure it will be of help to administrators new to Moodle. approve

I have added a link to your video in the backup FAQ documentation.

I'm also going to move this discussion to the backup and restore forum so that more people know about your video.

Well done for successfully completing GHOP task 44. smile