can one instance of moodle have multiple "faces"?

can one instance of moodle have multiple "faces"?

by Bradley Borch -
Number of replies: 2
I'm looking at Moodle for an organization that needs to provide an LMS for several related institutions. Is it possible to have one instance of moodle running that drives courses for different but related institutions? For example, a user might log into one instance and see the "branding" (logos, images, front page, etc.) of the one institution, but be able to view and enroll in courses offered by the other institution. I'm trying to think how this might work, but I'm not familiar enough with moodle's structure. I'm guessing it's pretty much a matter of defining which of the various tables in the database are shared, and which are kept separate. As this is a primary concern, are there any other LMS's that might be more suitable? Any thoughts or documentation on this would be appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bradley Borch

Re: can one instance of moodle have multiple "faces"?

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Bradley - Each course can have a theme which would provide the "branding" you are looking for. I believe I read that for 1.9 there are category themes but I'm not 100% sure on that since I've not had much time to explore the new features in 1.9. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Bradley Borch

Re: can one instance of moodle have multiple "faces"?

by Just H -
Hi Bradley

Confirming and expanding on Anthony's reply, 1.9 does indeed have category themes. The reason to mention this is it's one possible solution to your requirement i.e. use the start page as a general portal and set up each institution as a separate category, with it's own theme (courses in a category will inherent the same theme unless overridden in the course setup).

There is no need to worry about the database at all, it works this way out of the box. Best way to see if this will satisfy your requirements is to go ahead and install a test site, only takes about 10 minutes to get Moodle up and running.

Regards
H