visibility of Hot Potato exercises through Activity block

visibility of Hot Potato exercises through Activity block

by Norbert Berger -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,

I have several courses with Hot Potato exercises on courses running over several weeks. Not all weeks have Hot Potatoes, though.

What is odd is the following behaviour of display: when trying to access the Hot Potato exercises listed in the activity block on the side, the default view is to show only exercises listed on that particular week's page. At the same time, for resources or other activities, clicking other activities in the activity block will display all the resources or assignments, etc. that I have added to the course.

As a result, students complain about a message saying no Hot Potato exercises on this course. They have to switch to a different week, or to all weeks' view, to see them.

Is there any way in which we can adjust settings, so display behaviour is in line with other activities?

My current workaround is to tell students to switch to display of all weeks.

Gordon? Anyone?

Thanks for your efforts.

Norbert Berger
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Norbert Berger

Re: visibility of Hot Potato exercises through Activity block

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Norbert,

this functionality is intended to handle the situation where you have many (hundreds) of HotPots in a course, but I can see it is not working well for you where you have just a few, and some weeks have no HotPots.

Perhaps in your case it would be best to always show all the weeks? You can do that with a little hack to "mod/hotpot/index.php"

1. open "mod/hotpot/index.php" with a text editor
  2. locate the following line (around line 57)
    // Get all instances of this module
  3. insert the following line just BEFORE the above line:
    $displaysection = 0;
  4. save the modified file

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: visibility of Hot Potato exercises through Activity block

by Norbert Berger -
Hi Gordon,

I knew you would have the answer big grin. Many thanks.

Norbert