Parent Role Requiring Enrollment?

Parent Role Requiring Enrollment?

by Timothy Lowe -
Number of replies: 6
I have followed the instructions on http://docs.moodle.org/en/Parent_role to add the ability for parents to login and look at their student's coursework. The problem is a logged in parent cannot see the activity reports for a particular course unless the parent is enrolled in the course.

Example: Patricia Parent sees her son Samuel Student in the Mentee's block when she logs-in. Clicking on Samuel Student shows his profile and courses. Clicking on "Calculus" then "Activity Reports" gives me the error "This course is not enrollable at the moment.".

Now, if I enroll Patricia Parent as a student then she can see what she needs for Samuel student, but then she can do everything a student can (such as respond to homework assignments). How can I have it such that Patricia Parent can see Samuel Student's activity logs without being an enrolled member of a course?

I have the following permissions as "Allow" for parent:

moodle/user:viewdetails
moodle/user:readuserposts
moodle/user:readuserblogs
moodle/user:viewuseractivitiesreport

Note that the parent can view the student's activities at the site level, just not the course level (enrollment error as described above).

Thanks for any tips.

--Tim
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Timothy Lowe

Re: Parent Role Requiring Enrollment?

by Timothy Lowe -
I've been messing with this for quite some time with no success. Here is what I've tried (beyond double checking role permissions and setup as per the Parent_role documentation):

a.) allowing guest access in the course: this allows the parents to see their student's activity logs within a course. problem: the parent can also see and submit journal entries?? Nothing I have tried on role overrides has stopped the parent access to the Journal module both in reading their student's entries and being able to submit their own. I thought Journals were supposed to be private? If I could find a way to make journals private then I think this could be a decent solution.

b.) allowing enrollment in the course and enrolling the parent: this also allows the parents to see their students activity logs within a course. problem: now parents can submit their own work to assignments and activities within the course. Also parents are now listed as participants et. al. which would really confuse things for teachers.

I'm at a loss at this point as I'm not sure why the permissions aren't propagating as it seems the documentation says it should. Any ideas?
In reply to Timothy Lowe

by Timothy Lowe -
Well, I've decided to trace through the code to sort this problem out. At the moment the issue is that the function: has_capability('moodle/course:view', $context) is reporting false. Note that I have course:view set to "allow" in the Parent role definition. I'm moving on to the has_capability function now to see what I can find.
In reply to Timothy Lowe

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Timothy,

What version of Moodle are you using?

It should not be necessary for parents to enrol in courses to view activity reports. If they are unable to do so, please report the problem in the tracker.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Timothy Lowe -
I'm using: Moodle 1.8.3+ (2007021532). Before I submit it as a bug, I'd like to know that it truly is one - so at the moment I guess I'll keep sorting through the process to see what is going on. Right now it looks like the parent role isn't given the right context(?) in the roles table or something since has_capability is returning false.
In reply to Timothy Lowe

by Peter Em -
I have been grappling with exactly the same problem on the same version of Moodle. Each time Moodle does not allow the parent to select a course in the student's profile without enrolling on the course. I have tried different combinations of settings but with no success. I will dig a bit more but if you find anything in the mean time I would greatly appreciate any pointers.
In reply to Timothy Lowe

by Peter Em -
I have raised this as a bug. I don't know if this is the cause but it is working on my 1.8.2 install but not my 1.8.3 install. It is logged under  MDL-13066.