Unexpected results with partial scoring

Unexpected results with partial scoring

by Neil Spaxman -
Number of replies: 3

We seem to be having trouble with numerical questions when using partial scroing.  We are currently running the latest version of moodle (1.8.3)

An example would be:

Question: 2.5 / 0.6 =

Answer: 4.2 = 100%

4.17 = 60%

Unfortunatley when we preview the question if we give the answer 4.17 it marks it as partially correct and gives a mark of 0.6 out of 1 which is what we would expect.  But on some PCs within our college it says we have partially answered it correclty but it gives the student a full mark, 1 instead of 0.6?

We can't see how there is any difference between PCs they all have the same settings etc.  So can't understand why this is happening.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Neil Spaxman

Re: Unexpected results with partial scoring

by Pierre Pichet -
In what order do you set the answers in the question edit form?
The code check the first than the second one etc.

What was your tolerance to each answer?

What Moodle version do you use ?

Pierre

P.S. Calculated questions will give you a better control of tolerance and grading but are more complex to create.
In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Neil Spaxman -

The answers are set in the following order

Answer 1 = 4.2 100%

Answer 2 = 4.17 60%

And that's it.  We don't really have a tolerance, it's either correct (Answer 1) or Partially Correct (Answer 2) 

Version of Moodle 1.8.3 Latest stable

The lecturer used calculated questions in previous questions but we ran into problems with the way php rounded up the answer. I notice there is a bug tracker on this on moodle web site. 

Like I said on some PCs, it does it correct, but on others it doesn't, really strange.

In reply to Neil Spaxman

by Pierre Pichet -
I have no answer.
However can you identify some characteristics of those "strange" PC?
And is there something different when you look at the quiz results (attempts).
There could be a rounding if there is a number conversion from 0.0 numbers to 0,0 numbers or if the number keyboard has been used or not.

Pierre

P.S. I am working on this rounding PHP calculated question problem which as old as the calculated question itself...