Moving Multiple Assignments

Moving Multiple Assignments

by Tiffany Morgan -
Number of replies: 5
Hello
I need to move multiple assignments from one topic to another. I see I can use the arrow buttons to move one assignment at a time, but I have many many to move. Is there a way to do this in a batch or at least more than one at a time?

Thanks!

Oh I'm on moodle 1.8 (I believe)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

Re: Moving Multiple Assignments

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tiffany - The answer to your question is YES and NO. There is no easy way (AFAIK) other than moving them one at a time to move the assignments from one week or topic to another. However, depending on your knowledge of SQL there are ways of changing where an assignment is displayed. Direct manipulation of data in the database is not for the faint of heart and should really only be done in the most desperate of circumstances. How many assignments are you moving and could you describe the method to the madness for the move? Then I can let you know if I think it would even be worth considering moving them directly with the database. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Tiffany Morgan -
Hi Anthony

Thats what I was afraid of...The whole story is that we migrated a WebCT course into Moodle using the content Migration tool. When we did all of the course assignments were automatically put into the topic outline and they were not associated with any of the course topics. There are well over 100 assignments that were imported and placed in no order and with no association.

So I started the process of associating them with each topic and I realized I will be doing this forever. One of our developers tried going into the SQL to make the association and sequence adjustments but it didn't work quite as we had hoped.

So any advice you have on doing this through SQL would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

Tiff

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Tiffany!

Did you perchance try using ajax? It might or might not work, depending on your setup (it is still experimental), but if you DO get it to work it might save a lot of time. You could even do this work on a local install of moodle (say, on a laptop or desktop somewhere). Then, when the course was "fixed" you could upload it back to the server. This approach would be useful if you had student workers helping, who should not have full access to the academic instance of moodle, or if you can get ajax to work on a local install where it doesn't work on the main instance.

To get a copy that works locally on Windows or MacOS, go to http://download.moodle.org/ and look for the tabs at the top. A local instance is wonderful for many reasons, including development of course materials offline.

I will also suggest that you try restoring the course again. I have found that if you try to restore a course into a course shell that has TOO FEW TOPICS to accommodate the content, everything winds up in the top topic. Perhaps you would get better results if you restored into a course that had a large number of topics set just to make sure you had enough space? I would certainly give it a try before I attempted to manipulate the database directly. That would be my last choice. . .

Good luck,
atw

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tiffany - AJAX would be one way of speeding up your work. If your developers want to play with SQL you would be looking at the mdl_course_modules table and they would be changing the section field. Of course you would have to figure out how this corresponds to a particular course, etc. But if my memory serves me correctly, I was able to move a group of items from one section to another by changing the section. I had not considered moving an entire section; however, if that is possible it may work for you as well. I appreciate the various ideas and hope that one of them will help you in your Moodle transition and that after you get it worked out you can enjoy being a Happy Moodler. Peace - Anthony

by Jit San Chia -
If it is just from ONE topic to ANOTHER, then why not simply move the topic itself? : ) Assuming you don't have much other activities in the 2 topics involved of course.