Losing Quiz Results

Losing Quiz Results

by Ivan Labombarbe -
Number of replies: 7

We are new to moodle and this one is driving us crazy.  We have students taking quizzes (up to 10 questions).  Results are shown for each quiz report one day.  The next day the quiz is reset to Open all results are gone.

Please help.

Ivan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ivan Labombarbe

Re: Losing Quiz Results

by Ivan Labombarbe -

Obivously, either my question is too simple to warrant a response by anybody or everyone is too busy on more interesting topics.

Is this even the right forum for this question?

Where do I find technical support?

Tests taken today have scores and show start and finish date.

Rachell Tracy

2 December 2007, 08:04 PM

2 December 2007, 08:12 PM

7 mins 57 secs

When I login tomorrow these will show as open without scores.

Rachell Tracy

2 December 2007, 08:04 PM

open

Ivan

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Obivously, either ... or ...

Actually, there is at least one other option: you did not give us enough information to let us help you.

As it says at the top of the forum, at the very least, tell us exactly which version of Moodle you are using.

Also, lots of people are successfully using the quiz without any problem, so their must be something different on your particular system. What might that be?

Also, stuff does not mysteriously vanish from the database for no reason at all. Something must be causing it. You say that immediately after the student's attempt, the scores are there, and a day later they have gone. Well that is a place to start does it vanish after 1 hour, 6 hours, 12 hours? Then, what happens at the moment it vanishes that might be the cause?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ivan Labombarbe -

Tim - I am sorry I missed that at the begining of the forum.  As I stated I am new to the tool as well as to this forum.

We are using Moodle 1.8.1+ (2007021510) as a clean installation with two hacks.

Small Hack: Calendar Event Reminder System

Activity Module: Mail

Is there anything else I should have provided like server specification, memory, or other items?

Do you need any settings for roles or quizzes?

Thank you,

Ivan

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
None of those hacks should cause the quiz to break. It is very mysterious.

One thing that is worth trying, if you can, is to upgrade to Moodle 1.8.3+. The 1.8.x stable branches contain various bug fixes, so sometimes upgrading solves problems. However, upgrading, even along a stable branch, requires due care and attention (basically take a full backup first, and test upgrading a dummy site before you do a real one. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading)

But I don't recall any bug fixes between 1.8.1 and 1.8.3 that were for problems like the one you are seeing.

Basically, until we can deduce the cause, by looking at the evidence we have, taking educated guesses, then testing the hypotheses those guesses suggest, then there is very little we can do.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ivan - I'm curious about timezones and if the users that are having problems are using a different timezone in their profile. I have seen some problems with this but it would still not explain the behavior. I agree with Tim that getting upgraded to the latest 1.8+ is a good thing. Groups might be another area where something different might happen. They are blind guesses but hopefully we will figure something out. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ivan - Yes, this is the right forum to post questions about the quiz module. I've never heard or seen the behavior that you are speaking about. Which version of Moodle are you using? Peace - Anthony