Problem in submitting quiz

Problem in submitting quiz

by Sanjay P. K. -
Number of replies: 51
I am using Moodle 1.6. I recently gave a quiz and some of my students could not submit the answers. When they clicked "Submit all and finish", they were logged out and the sign-in screen appeared. When I checked the submitted quiz attempts, I found their status as open ( time taken is shown as open). Their answers were not displayed and their marks zero. When these students attempted the quiz again( they could attempt the quiz again though the setting was 'only one attempt'), they saw the same questions( there were some random questions) but their answers were not shown. It was as if they were continuing with their first attempt. Since this happened with only a few students, I suspect it has some thing to do with the browser settings. They were all using Internet Explorer .
Thanks for any comments on this.
Sanjay
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sanjay P. K.

Re: Problem in submitting quiz

by Jay Melton -
In the Admin section, check Server/Session Handling. The students may be getting timed out based on the setting there. Change it to something longer than you think they need.
In reply to Jay Melton

by Sanjay P. K. -
No; that was not the problem. The students submitted in time. When they reported this, I updated the quiz by increasing the duration. Then I asked them to sign again and they could continue the test ( but their answers were all gone). I sat along with them and asked them to select the answers and submit. The same thing happened again. The time taken is still 'open'. I have seen two things happening when they do not submit in time: either it is automatically submitted or they can still continue with quiz but if they take more than one minute extra, they get zero marks; and the attempt is over. But here their quiz attempt remains open.
Ps: I was not using 'show quiz in a secure window'
Sanjay

In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Are you using Moodle 1.6, or 1.6.5? I remember there were lots of bug fixes in the quiz in the 1.6.x series.
In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Sanjay P. K. -
I am still not able to figure out this. Only a few students faced this problem; so I went to one of those systems (PC) and took a preview of the quiz. I was signed out when I submitted the quiz and when I signed in , I saw an error message 'There is no quiz with id 0'. I was under the impression that this has something to do with the browser setting; but that is wrong. I took a preview of another quiz ( of the same course: that is course settings are same) and this did not happen. I could see the submitted answers and the score. I compared the settings of these two quizzes and I couldn't find any difference. The only difference is the type of questions used. In the quiz that faced this error, I used Multiple choice, calculated and embedded answer ( cloze) questions. In the other quiz I had used only Multiple choice and Short-Answer questions.
I am using Moodle 1.6

In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The reason for the error message 'There is no quiz with id 0' is that the redirect to the login screen and back to the quiz loses the information that your browser sent when you clicked the submit all and finish button.

As previously hinted, if you have not yet upgraded to 1.6.5, that is the first thing to try.

If you have any PHP skills you could try putting debugging statements in the code to try to work on what is going on. I wonder if something is corruping the session?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sanjay P. K. -
We have upgraded to 1.8 but the problem persists. Recently I gave another quiz. After the completion of the quiz I saw the time taken by some students as 'open'. Later those students told me that they had submitted the quiz in time and had seen the scores ( multiple attempts allowed; Students may review Scores Immediately after the attempt). When they attempted the quiz again they saw the same questions, in the same order but without their answers and immediately the quiz got submitted automatically with total score zero. Then I went to a terminal from where a student had reported the problem (described in the first posting of this thread)for the first quiz. I took a preview of that quiz and when I submitted, I saw the error message "A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser" followed by 'There is no quiz with id 0'. I see this "A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser" error message quite frequently after upgradation to 1.8 especially when I touch the discussion forum of the courses.
In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sanjay - I am afraid that I cannot reproduce this behavior in Moodle 1.8. I have a production site running on 1.8 and have not heard of this problem. Something seems to be off but I'm not sure what it is. Previews are not stored and are deliberately deleted from the quiz attempts. They are useful for previewing what a quiz will look like but that is precisely what they are for - just a preview. I'm curious exactly which version of 1.8 you have and which version of the quiz module. Could you go to your frontpage and hover over the Moodle icon at the bottom of the page and get the specific version number (mine is 2007021533) and then go to Administration Block - Modules - Activities and see what the quiz version is (should be something like 2007020200). That will help us to narrow down which version of Moodle code you are working with. The fact that you began experiencing these problems since an upgrade draws into question if the upgrade was done properly. For example, did you visit the Administration page after the upgrade to update the tables? Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Sanjay P. K. -
Thanks for looking into it. The problem is not just with the preview. I still see the time taken by many students as 'open' and score 0 for the quiz I gave weeks ago. I have described the problem in detail in the first posting of this thread. It was only when students told me about this that I looked into the preview. The error message "A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser" appeared only after the upgradation; but 'There is no quiz with id 0' continues from quiz attempts of 1.6. Following your instructions, I discovered that we have Moodle 1.8.3 + ( 2007021532) but I could not find the quiz version by hovering my mouse anywhere in the Administartion block or Activities block. Perhaps only the administrator can see it ( I am an instructor ). If so, I will request my admin to find it for me. What should I tell my admin ( precisely) regarding updating the table after the upgradation?

In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Anthony Borrow -
A shot in the dark but one thought I had was how is your server handling timezones? Also, I'm curious about the authentication type that you are using on your Moodle server. Peace - Anthony

by Sanjay P. K. -
My administrator tells me that they are using IST time zone and authentication type used is database. They had updated all the tables after upgrade.
In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Anthony Borrow -
Sanjay - Are you still experiencing problems with your quizzes? To find the version of the quiz go to the Administration block, click on Modules, then click on Activities, and then you should see a row for the Quiz module with a version number that looks something like:

icon.gif Quiz 0 2007020200 Hide Delete Settings

Peace - Anthony

by Sanjay P. K. -
Sorry; I saw this very late. The quiz version is this:

Quiz 213 2007020200 Hide
In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Carl Kennard -
Sorry, I didn't spot this thread until I'd already posted elsewhere. We're also having this preoblem and are using the same verion as Sanjay.
In reply to Carl Kennard

Tárgy: Re: Problem in submitting quiz

by Bee Gee -

Hi! I have a same problem. I have a production server with version 1.8.4, and test server with 1.9, and the error coming in both version. Under Firefox work fine. I get this message only under Internet Explorer, if I am log in one hour at least, and sometimes if I am log in more tabs, and I want save any changes. I set medium privacy settings, and I tested now in low settings. Perhaps IE not handling well this cookie. I read another forum this happen, if you're site have address redirection.

Attachment hiba.JPG
In reply to Bee Gee

Re: Tárgy: Re: Problem in submitting quiz

by Carl Kennard -
Apparently one student in the recent running of the quiz got the "no quiz with id 0" error but not the others. We thought it might be a time limit issue because those that didn't work took over an hour but there's no limit in the admin settings. Is your site set as trusted in IE?
In reply to Carl Kennard

by Carl Kennard -
Do you have a URL for the redirect forum thread?
In reply to Carl Kennard

Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Problem in submitting quiz

by Bee Gee -
Sorry, but I didn't save the another forum URL, and I cannot find now. I put earlier the site (with domain suffix and without) in the local intranet site. The privacy settings is always allow for this site. Now I put among in the trusted site, and wait for result.
In reply to Bee Gee

Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Problem in submitting quiz

by Carl Kennard -
I'm wondering if there any limit to the amount of concurrent users who can write to the database? Another idea I had was our log tables have  reached maximum capacity and I thought this might have prevented Moodle from finishing the job. I'm not an expert at databases/SQL so I'm unsure if these ideas have any merit.
In reply to Carl Kennard

Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Problem in submitting quiz

by Bee Gee -
I think max 20 current threat write database in same time. This is not too much. Which log tables do you think exactly? The dbsessions set to false is config.php. I have no idea what's wrong.
In reply to Bee Gee

Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Problem in submitting quiz

by Carl Kennard -
Its turning into a real headache. We can't sell using moodle for assessment to our staff until we've sorted this problem and it appears we're not the only one's having trouble. It seems to be our moodle isn't completing the final stage of the transaction and writing the calculated final score to the database.
In reply to Carl Kennard

by Tim Hunt -
Yes, but everyone is making the same vague reports along the lines of "individual question scores OK, but overall attempt score wrong", but without giving more precise details or error messages (not that there appear to be any, probably because the problem happens on production systems with debugging turned off when the student attempts the quiz), or trying to pin down the cause themselves, or giving reliable steps to reproduce the problem.

This is an important issues, but we can't go anywhere without more information.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Carl Kennard -

Part of the difficulty is we can't give details because we can't replicate the problem. We're on 1.8.3 and the only notable difference between this quiz and our others is it is much longer (74 questions) and contains more than multiple choice question types. The error message we have gotten from two of the three failed attempts (there was no message at all with the other) gives an ID error number in a pink box. When I re-graded one of the attempts it gave a grade but the other two still have no record in the database.

I'm wondering if its something to do with the students themselves. I assume the only stage of the process that is specific to an individual student's records is the final part of the transaction where the grade is added to their ID. Therefore the part specific to the questions themselves could work (which appears to have happened). The final assignment of a grade is where the process ceased to work. Is this some kind of enrolment issue?

In reply to Carl Kennard

by Tim Hunt -
I think it is more likely to be a resource issues. Something - memory or time - is running out before processing of 'submit all and finish' has been fully processed, so the database is only partially updated. Whether that happens or not will depend on how many other things are going on on the server at the time, so problems will be more common when the server is busy.

But wherever in the process it fails, there should be an error message.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Carl Kennard -

I'm told the queries required for that particular quiz take a matter of seconds so that doesn't seem likely, plus most of our students are on vacation at the moment so traffic is probably minimal. I tried testing the theory when the problem first arose though but the error didn't reappear. I don't know if there are any locks on the table that would make this problem more likely.

We're going to try submitting a number of quizzes simultaneously to see if that has any effect but the lecturer has told us he observed while students submitted one at a time to avoid a different problem that occurred the previous time we used the same quiz.

The students submitted the quiz for final grading but didn't save their attempts first. I'm wondering if we should ask students to always save their attempts without submitting first so that they can try agin if it doesn't work first time. We haven't tried this so I'm not sure if the answers would save to the database anyway.

In reply to Carl Kennard

by Tim Hunt -
Oh well, there goes that theory.

Thank you for continuing to investigate this. We must get to the bottom of it.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Carl Kennard -
I'm not completely discarding it just yet and we may revue it again if our currect theories are unsuccessful but I don't think its a moodle problem if it is something along these lines. I'd be more inclined to think its a MySQL, Apache or Linux setting that's the problem unless there's something hidden deep in one of the moodle Lib files.
In reply to Carl Kennard

by Bee Gee -
I think so this is not a Linux problem, because my moodle run under Win2003 server. In my opinion I made some changes in moodle code to fit for a demand, and either of them, or more cause this "hardly reproduce" error.
In reply to Bee Gee

by Carl Kennard -
What were the changes you made to the code?
In reply to Carl Kennard

Tárgy: Re: Problem in submitting quiz

by Bee Gee -
I walk around this question, and I think my colleague changes not affect this problem. He wrote some enrollments script what more suitable for HR smile. But it is use another page, and store another database, and only enroll specified user in specified course, so it is minimal change. I use LDAP query for authentication with On Campus login, and this causing to the system make auto logoff and auto login, and I get a new session ID, and come the error message. I not a programmer and I not understand why lost session sometimes in IE.
In reply to Bee Gee

by Carl Kennard -
If you're finding IE sometimes loses a session this could explain the problem. If it happens when a student is undertaking a quiz it would wreck it as I believe sessions are vital to their success (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyone know why IE has this problem or if Firefox is immune to it?
In reply to Carl Kennard

by Carl Kennard -
Anyone made any further progress with this?
In reply to Carl Kennard

by Sanjay P. K. -
I had faced a similar problem after the upgrade to Moodle 1.8.3. and I reported it here. I cannot replicate it but I can still see in the reports ( logs) entries of quiz attempts by students but if I look at that quiz there are no attempts shown. If I click on those log entries, I get either the the error message 'No such attempt ID exists' or it shows a quiz attempt with no responses shown. I had to create new accounts for the students for conducting the subsequent quizzes of this course was.
In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Carl Kennard -

We've been considering if this is a problem with our single sign-on provision. In an earlier post there was:

"The reason for the error message 'There is no quiz with id 0' is that the redirect to the login screen and back to the quiz loses the information that your browser sent when you clicked the submit all and finish button."

We're wondering why you are redirected to the login page and back again? Because of the way our login procedure is set up this would kill the current session and start a new one.

The only problem with this theory is the question of why some students work but others don't.

In reply to Carl Kennard

by Jule Thorsen -

I am also having this exact problem. I am in Moodle 1.9 and when giving timed tests of 50+ multiple choice questions with the attempts limit set at 1. Some students take the test and when they click save and submit they are redirected to a log in screen and their attempt is gone. I then delete their attempt on the quiz results screen and which then effectively allows them to start again.

The unpredicatable factor is that this can happen to one student after they have successfully taken previous tests of the same type on the same machine. They are all using Internet Explorer. I have had some dial down their internet security settings to a lower level but that may just appear to work since the pattern is unpredictable.

All Spring semester I tested in exactly the same way in 1.8 without any problems. So why now in 1.9 is this a problem?

I am busy assuring faculty this is a random problem that rarely happens, but I am afraid I am lying to them!

In reply to Jule Thorsen

by Tim Hunt -
I can't think of any reason why this would be different between 1.8 and 1.9.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jule Thorsen -

I agree with you that there is no logical reason. The factor that other users in other posts have mentioned that firefox users do not have a problem but IE does (which is why reducing internet security settings might be working) and the concerns that appear to be connected to timing settings before the system responds to what it thinks is an inactive user returning to the software have me questioning what is happening.

When a student opens a test and then is actually "taking" the test, does their clicking the radio button for the answers act as activity as far as Moodle is concerned or is their "opening" the test and "submitting" the test the only activity?  If the opening/submitting are the only real activity then with longer tests that have a timer set for 60 minutes or more could that be the reason the software prompts a username/password resubmission and then effectively wipes out their test data?

And was there a change in the quiz module from 1.8 to 1.9 that dealt with timing issues?

In reply to Sanjay P. K.

by Dmitry Stegantsov -
I have the similar problem. When studens click "Submit all and finish", they are logged out and the sign-in screen appeares. No any error message is displayed. When they sign in again they see the time left timer, but all their answers are gone. The bad thing is that this problem occurs from time to time, not always, so it can't be easily reproduced.

Session timeout is set to 3h, the duration of test is 1.5h.

My students use Firefox3 or Konqueror.

I found this problem when upgraded to moodle 1.9.4+ from 1.9.2. The upgrade process was correct. It seems the problem still exists in 1.9.5+ sad

Quiz version 2007101509
Moodle version 1.9.5+ (Build: 20090603)
MySql 5.0.45

I would be grateful for any help. My final exams are failling due to this unexpected problem... sad
In reply to Dmitry Stegantsov

by Tim Hunt -
Does this happen even in you log in as a student; start a test attempt; answer one question; then click submit all and finish a few minutes after you started the attempt?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dmitry Stegantsov -
No, I can't reproduce it in a such way, everything works as it should.

Usually the problem happens during long tests (1h-1.5h).

Maybe the number of questions have an influence?

by Tim Hunt -
That suggests it is some other time-out. So, the Moodle session timeout is 3 hours. Is there a separate PHP timeout setting? Or is there something else that could be responsible?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dmitry Stegantsov -
> Is there a separate PHP timeout setting?

Where may I check it?
In php.ini I found only such options looking connected with our problem:
max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
; Lifetime in seconds of cookie or, if 0, until browser is restarted.
session.cookie_lifetime = 0
; After this number of seconds, stored data will be seen as 'garbage' and
; cleaned up by the garbage collection process.
session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440

Other idea is some time-outs (or bugs) in browser itself.

Also maybe there are some overflows of table size limit in mysql tables? I checked tables on fs - moodle database is ~23Mb, not so big.

My installation (OS, MySQL, php5) haven't changed. Only Moodle version and browser version (Firefox3) were changed. In Moodle 1.8.x I've never seen this problem, so it looks like something is wrong in Moodle sad

by Tim Hunt -
The key one there is

; After this number of seconds, stored data will be seen as 'garbage' and
; cleaned up by the garbage collection process.
session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440

That tells PHP to throw away any session after 24 minutes of inactivity. Get that increased to 10800 to match the 3-hour timeout you have set in Moodle, and your problem should go away.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dmitry Stegantsov -
Ok, thanks, I'll set session.gc_maxlifetime = 11000. Will be interesting to know if it was the cause smile

Although it does not explain why the problem has happend in my installation only in Moodle 1.9.4.
I guess '1440' always was the default value for that option.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Vicki Dunnam -
We are having similar problems with students submitting a quiz and we are using Moodle version 1.9.5. Have you determined what is causing this and how to fix it. when a student clicks to submit the quiz, the student is taken completely out of Moodle and had to log back into Moodle.

Some students show their quizzes are still open even after they tried to submit.

Please let me know if you have discovered the cause and how to fix this problem or where to post a bug.

I have not changed the session.gc_maxlifetime area yet. What file is this found in so I can fix it to 10800.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Melissa Benson -

I believe this is what sovled my issue with users getting logged out after submitting quizzes in the last installation.

I tried doing it in this installation and it didn't seem to take effect when viewing the php info in Moodle. Do I have to restart anything or is there another place to set this? I have it set to 4 hours in Moodle and 14400 in php.ini

The local and master value is still 1440. My session.gc_divisor is 1000. What is the divisor?

I'm running on uBuntu 10.04/Moodle 1.9.9 Thanks.

by Vicki Dunnam -
We are having similar problems with students submitting a quiz and we are using Moodle version 1.9.5. Have you determined what is causing this and how to fix it. when a student clicks to submit the quiz, the student is taken completely out of Moodle and had to log back into Moodle.

Some students show their quizzes are still open even after they tried to submit.

Please let me know if you have discovered the cause and how to fix this problem or where to post a bug.
In reply to Vicki Dunnam

by Burt Polesitter -
Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? I am having the exact same issue with a quiz of 100 questions. I have tried changing the server time out and currently have it set to 5 hours and it is still happening to students who can take the test within an hour and a half.

Please help.

Thanks.
In reply to Burt Polesitter

by Tim Hunt -
What about setting the quiz to only show a few questions on each page, so students are leaving it until right at the end to submit their answers to all the questions.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by karthi R -

Hi everyone,

Please help me out, if i click save without submitting button, the question page is refreshed and a new question is displayed. And i am not able to find the grade if i submit the quiz.